Classified Concern Brought to my attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It has been brought to my attention that we have a member "user" that is possibly using the classified ads to promote his business and profit. Based on his classifieds, I would be inclined to agree that this violates this part of the classified ad policy:

Members may use the Classified Section for one-time sale of woodworking items they make, but may not market production items for profit.

Tell me what you think. We have had a couple of members comment on this. We charge most businesses for their ads, so...............

This user is Liftinaleg

TracyP

Tracy
He has announced starting his own Wood and Burl buisness in: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showpost.php?p=230477&postcount=1

I'd agree he is violating our Classified policy.

In looking over his post history, I think he's not trying to pull anything. Probably just didn't read the policy.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

That is my take on it also. He has posted 5 ads for burls, I also don't think it was intentional. Someone probably just needs to advise him if we all agree.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I know Chris. He probably didn't realize he's crossed a line. I didn't know it either. So, what would be the preferred way for people like Chris or Ivey to announce new stock availability? I'll be happy to explain it to him. :icon_thum

TracyP

Tracy
I know Chris. He probably didn't realize he's crossed a line. I didn't know it either. So, what would be the preferred way for people like Chris or Ivey to announce new stock availability? I'll be happy to explain it to him. :icon_thum
Good question, Maybe an amendment to the classified policy, but then the paying advertisers that are selling wood also, are potentially treated unfairly. It has to be fair in my opinion. My opinion is that if you are in business to sell wood, and we charge some wood suppliers, then you should pay an ad fee. Please post your opinions.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
What happened to them being able to start a thread about available stock? Like Travis mentioned the lumber runs, they were all started by threads.

If we did charge for ad space or classifieds for business use, what would be the determining factor in someone having a lot of extra's and someone trying to sell for business?

toolman

New User
Chad
I just looked at the classified ads, and yes he has cross the line. But only by saying Thank you to North Carolina Woodworker for helping him get started. As for as selling of the wood??? :dontknow: If we say he cross the line on this, then Kyle, Jeff, and all sawyers are crossing the line, because we all know they saw wood to make $$$$$. Also there are users that sale tools and equipment to make a profit.

Tracy - We have had a couple of members comment on this.
May I ask the users names, that commented on this? If you do not want to say it is ok.. :cool:

this is my $.10 on this :rolf:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What about Jeff and his lumber runs?
Travis, you beat me to it.

There are differences between the burls and the lumber runs, but also similarities. Both the burls and lumber runs are commercial, recurring transactions. Technically, that means they should not be allowed as postings in the Classifieds or the Wood forum. What makes the lumber runs different is that they are infrequent and far more complicated than a simple "for sale". Logistics, quantities, species, lumber runs always require lengthy discussions via the forum.

Needless to say, the lumber runs are a big hit with our users here (myself included). So whatever policy interpretation/ enforcement/ clarification/ modification is required, I hope it won't interfere with that.

A listing fee sounds complicated. Would it be a fixed amount, or based on the price? The latter would make the lumber runs even more enjoyable, Jeff is barely able to figure out what to charge people (here, take some more!), so calculating a % is like bistrometry (read The Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy). A fixed price would probably be too much of a burden for smaller sales.

Another option would be to allow commercial classifieds for wood only, provided the seller is a corporate member. I think that distinction is defensible. We don't want people coming here reselling tools from Harbor Freight or Amazon.com. But lumber is still mainly a local affair, primarily due to the prohibitive shipping cost.

The third option is to leave the Classifieds policy as is, but allow lumber sellers to ask for special dispensation for "events" - such as gathering an order of burls before/ after the picnic and lumber runs.

I think this is a great item for our new Board Of Directors to make a decision on :) I'll bring the popcorn.

TracyP

Tracy
This probably needs clarification. Woodcraft, Klingspor, and The Woodworking Source pay for their ad. Liftinaleg has posted five times in the classified ads with pictures of his burls for sale and it has ruffled a few feathers. The general consensus is that if they have to pay for their ads and they abide by the classified policies by not posting their for sale items there, then everyone else that has stated that they have a "Business" selling wood should have to follow the same rules. The wood runs that Jeff does have not been posted in the classified as far as I know. This is "all" about the classified policies. Please do not read anything else into it. I am not taking sides, just trying to present a concern to the staff in the intended prospective.

TracyP

Tracy
I think this is a great item for our new Board Of Directors to make a decision on :smile: I'll bring the popcorn.

Exactly:gar-La;:gar-La; And I like popcorn with drink:rotflm:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Just to be clear, I really don't have an opinion on this yet. I am just playing devils advocate, so do not take anything indirectly to imply an opinion for me.

To be a business/commercial, would you not need an EIN/taxpayer ID and additionally charge sales tax?

I too have liked the lumber runs, Kyle posting stuff he has,etc and I would hate to enact a policy (or enforce an existing policy) that takes some of that away.

Again, I still am undecided.....

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My 2 cents....

Chris, and Jack also made nice donations to our last raffle. Indirectly they paid for ads with those donations.

Like several others I do not think they intended to violate the policy.

TracyP

Tracy
My 2 cents....

Chris, and Jack also made nice donations to our last raffle. Indirectly they paid for ads with those donations.

Like several others I do not think they intended to violate the policy.

Scott, I agree with you on the fact that they did not do anything intentional.

toolman

New User
Chad
If you look at the wood classified ads you will see 1 ad by Jeff, 7 ads by Kyle, 8 ads by bluthart, and 5 ads by Liftinaleg..

None of the above are lumber runs!

Tracy: The wood runs that Jeff does have not been posted in the classified as far as I know.

Jeff's lumber run was one of the reason for going with and classified ads.

TracyP

Tracy
If you look at the wood classified ads you will see 1 ad by Jeff, 7 ads by Kyle, 8 ads by bluthart, and 5 ads by Liftinaleg..

None of the above are lumber runs!

Jeff's lumber run was one of the reason for going with and classified ads.

Maybe I am out of line here, But If I read the AD policies correctly, it is not supposed to be a place to post continual for profit business sales. No matter who it is.

TracyP

Tracy
Maybe I am out of line here, But If I read the AD policies correctly, it is not supposed to be a place to post continual for profit business sales. No matter who it is.

If it is to be allowed, then the policy wording needs to be changed.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I think its only fair to enforce the stated policy for everyone.

In no way am I judging the lumber runs or their contributions.

If there is a need to alter the policy, by all means have at it. I got some jiffy pop standing by.

Jim

TracyP

Tracy
I think its only fair to enforce the stated policy for everyone.

In no way am I judging the lumber runs or their contributions.

If there is a need to alter the policy, by all means have at it. I got some jiffy pop standing by.

Jim

No Orville Redenbaucker (spelling):rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS