DaveO

New User
DaveO
Stopped by Travis Porter's house today and look what followed me home -

Tile_Box.jpg

4 Gross-Stabil 24" clamps
&&&
4 Jorgy Cabinet Master 24" clamps

:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Don't worry fans the poster child for WGD isn't giving up clamping to "shoot a few brads while the glue dries". He just preferred his 60 some clamps to all be color-coordinated....all Bessy Red. And he had to make room for the 12 Craftsman Bailey clamps he stoled from Big Lots.

Now I have a not so sad problem, more clamps than my current clamp rack can hold. I have to make a new one. I would prefer wall mounted as floor space is at a premium in my shop. Travis had a nice set-up, that holds a great number of clamps. I didn't pay enough attention to it to get a mental picture of how it was built :eusa_doh::icon_scra
So let's see some wall mounted clamp rack ideas :icon_thum

TIA,
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice haul, Dave! YOU ROCK!

I know you said floor space was an issue, but a clamp rack that you can roll to the job is much more convenient...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My shop is only 25 x 25' and the assembly table is in the middle...it's not a far journey to any wall. Plus I have to have somewhere to store the peach paint :wwink:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Oh yeah...forgot about the peach paint!:slap: Better go with a wall rack in that case:gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
um.... ya could STORE em here for a few years till you get them lazy elves to build ya a bigger rack!:widea:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like that, but how do you deal with getting the clamps out from the back tier without disturbing the ones in front. I have only a 8" ceiling. Also did you cut the slots specific for the clamp bar width?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
No ideas, need something myself. In fact, I'll see about talking Joe into doing a clamp rack workshop :rolf:

T

toolferone

If you look at the picture below of my clamp rack you will see I have a nice home set up for those yuckee orange clamps you got. I will be happy to remove those unsightly orange clamps for you :gar-La;.

clamp%20rack%20015a.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think I may have found what I was looking for.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=26013
After seeing Travis's set up, I think that something like this will hold the maximum amount of clamps in the least space, with easy access. I've now got close to 60 clamps of different styles, so it will be tricky to build that to accommodate all the different shapes. Of course I could get rid of my 30 some F-style clamps to make room for the big boys, but they are soo handy at times.

Keep the ideas coming, and a pic is worth a 1000 words.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Dave that was a good haul. Don't tell Travis but I think you may have carried off some of his better clamps.
Boy, Travis would have a real problem with my clamp rack, it has just about every color on it. The only color that I know that's not on it is the Woodcraft green ones, but it's just a matter of time. I buy what's on sale.
Rob

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Nice score! Did you write that your shop is only 25' x 25'? Gees, I wouldn't know what to do with that much space! :rotflm:

I gotta figure out something better to do with my clamps than store them in the rafters or in a big pile on my bench!

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I like that, but how do you deal with getting the clamps out from the back tier without disturbing the ones in front. I have only a 8" ceiling. Also did you cut the slots specific for the clamp bar width?

My clamp rack is hinged so the front leaf swings out of the way to reach the rear. I like mine because you can add layers and you can make it any width you want. If I make another one, I will cut the slots specific to the clamp.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
NICE haul Dave! :eek:

I'm not sure if this is feasible or if I'm just losing my mind, but what about hanging them from the ceiling? Sorry, a small shop forces you to think WAY outside the box. Actually, it forces you to think halfway across the universe from the box. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS