Children's Building Block Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
I am looking to make a set of children's building blocks for the son and daughter of friends. Does anyone have a link or know dimensions for the different sized blocks? I've looked online but an having trouble finding this info. Ideally I'd like at least 15 different sized blocks/shapes.
Thanks for the help!

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Amy Dowden can probably help you. I've seen some that she made. If she doesn't post an answer you might want to PM adowden.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
My childhood Playskool blocks (about 1970) are multiples of 35mm and I can't recommend them enough. The blocks are simply modular (1:2:4) and stable to great height.

blocks_lores.jpg

(from left, by rows) (all dimension in millimeters)
* Half Column: 70 x 35 x 35H
* Square: 70 x 70 x 35H
* Triangle, short: (half of Square)
* Column: 140 x 35 x 35H
* Rectangle: 140 x 70 x 35H
* Triangle, long: (half of Rectangle)
* Arch: (same as Rectangle with Crescent removed)
* Crescent: 70 radius x 35H

The tolerances are close, four 35mm objects collected are the same length as a 140mm piece. (Necessary if you are trying to teach concepts of multiples or asymmetry.) The corners are probably rounded <1/16", and the opposing surfaces are parallel and smooth. (Also necessary if they are intended to stack to any challenging height.)

I think these were one of the more significant factors in my becoming an architect. My brother, myself, and neighborhood friends used them for a long time to build cities for Matchbox cars, and survived numerous chewings by German Shepherds. My parents used them to support various painting projects after that, and about five years ago I sanded them all down for my own kids to play with.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for all their help, especially Steve for taking the time to measure out his childhood blocks.

For those who are interested, I did run across a website that not only sells unit blocks, but also has a DIY page, complete with measurements and directions.

www.BarclayWoods.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS