Chest in Time for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I've been working on a hope chest for my grandson since early this summer, but other events got in the way. I had two significant commissioned woodworking jobs and my Mother's death forced me to set aside the work on this project that I had started in June until recently. I've completed the woodwork for it in time for a Christmas unveiling and just need to attach the two safety Lid Supports and apply the finish. My grandson is just 20 months old and has his Gramps wrapped around his little finger!

Here is the top of the Chest, carved for me on a Shop Bot by a most generous Tim Merrill (tmerrill on this site). RJP is for Ridley Joslin Payne -- my middle name is Ridley and Joslin is a family name on my wife's side!

Here is a perspective view -- the plans are from the February 2000 issue of the American Woodworker. The chest measures 26-1/2" high by 48" wide by 19" deep and is made of White Oak.

Here is a view of the left end, showing the 1/2" radius roundover and the small fillet in the top. Note the 3/8" walnut pegs through the front and back legs to secure the upper rail mortises. All of the rails and stiles are attached with M & T joinery and pegged like this.

Finally, a view of the copious interior -- more than enough room for lots of toys now and whatever he wants when he goes to college or gets married! The bottom is 1/2" Baltic Birch set into a dado in each of the lower rails. Like all of the panels, it is free floating.

Thanks for looking and hope you all have a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rob, that looks great. I can't wait to see it with the finish applied. Are you going to go with something dark alla Craftsman/A&C-style or a more natural wood color?
The carving is really sharp!!!

It looks like your grandson might get something else wrapped around his finger if he's not careful (sorry I couldn't resist :lol::lol::lol:)

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Rob...that looks great! I like the details...esp the walnut pegs. The panels make for a classy box :) Very cool for the name honors there!!!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
VERY nice, Rob.I'm sure he'll "treasure" is as he gets older. Really nice touch with the pegs. Merry Christmas!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ooooooohhhhhh thats nice!:icon_thum It's gonna look even gooder with some finnish on it!

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Rob,

Beautiful job on the chest and the carving really puts it in a class of its own. Your grandson will truly appreciate it for a long time to come. I see this becoming a family heirloom that will be passed along.

Merry Christmas and a very healthy and Happy New Year.

Dan C.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking chest Rob! I really like the ketch you have on the lid. Is that any particular boat or did you just like the design? Looks like an heirloom to me!

MarkW

New User
Mark
I really like it! You really did a great job with the joinery and the carving really sets the whole thing off.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Rob, that is a great looking chest and grandson. An heirloom for sure. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap My grandson is 5 days younger than yours and you are right about them wrapping you around their finger.

I had planned to make one for my grandson but his parents are putting his toys in the toy chest I made his father over 30 years ago..nowhere near as nice as yours but it is still strong and sturdy after all these years. Just plywood and simple joinery before I had real tools. :lol:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
:eusa_clapBeautiful work, Rob!!!!:eusa_clap

I too am anxiously awaiting your selection for the finish!

Merry Christmas!

Wayne

J

jeff...

Wow very nice and highly unique. Great construction technique - looks great did you make your own walnut pins?

M

McRabbet

Wow very nice and highly unique. Great construction technique - looks great did you make your own walnut pins?
I'm afraid I'm lazy -- used 3/8" Walnut dowel from Klingspor. Each dowel is 3/4" long as the rails and stiles are all a full inch thick and the legs started as 1-3/4" by 3-3/4" before the bevel cut is made down the length of the leg (you can see the bevel in the interior picture). Drilled the holes with a 3/8" forstner bit and glued them in place.

T

toolferone

Rob, you did a great job on that chest. I also can't wait to see it finished. I built the same chest as a commission piece a few years ago. The plans are a little odd with the bevel on th inside of the legs. Here is a picture of the one I made. I was using the customers ERC and did not have any thick stock to do the legs, so I designed them differently. It is the same dimensions though.

bchest%20front%20done%202.jpg

http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/blanket_chest.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors