cherry wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
Blonde in color as opposed to the salmon color of the heart wood. The sap wood thickness is usually not very thick.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've seen WBC with over 4" of sapwood which is a creamy color. It all depends on the growing conditions. Trees grown out in the open, like a yard tree grow much faster and put on more sapwood, than those grown under a deep woods canopy.

eyekode

New User
Salem
In freshly planed cherry the sap wood provides a beautiful creamy white contrast to the heart wood. Unfortunately I have never been able to capture this difference in a finished piece. I think it turns more muddy with age. Maybe I just haven't hit on the right finishing schedule...
Salem

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There is a little sapwood in the legs of this chest, bit not in the frame components. It's not overly powerful in appearance in this case. The finish is clear dewaxed shellac and Waterlox "Original" Sealer/Finish.

PB210123.jpg

Hope this helps.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think the sapwood of cherry and maple look very similar. I have one board that has yellow colored sapwood. But my other examples have stayed white. The contrast between the heartwood and sapwood increases as the heartwood darkens due to exposure to sunlight. The sapwood of cherry and walnut are also about the same color - but the walnut grain is semi-porus (of course).

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS