Charlotte Woodworking Show—First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow... an unfortunate turn of events. Sorry guys... at least it sounds like everyone made it home safely. Oh, and that "chat" at Olive Garden -- more like 2½ hours!!! :mrgreen: Time flies when you're in good company... I really enjoyed it ya'll!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Steve,

Sorry about the ticket. I got lucky.

I took the same 64 route home and must have seen 6 police cars along the way. I had been following a guy doing 50 mph in a 55 for a while. I do not like doing 50 in a 55. When the opportunity presented itself I accelerated hard to pass him. I reached 75 mph by the time I got around and was slowing to my normal 64 mph when I passed two sheriff cars off to the side. Apparently they were busy shooting the breeze. Whew!!

I kept it on 62 mph from there on in to Raleigh.

On a good note, I played with my T3 router yesterday and it is real smooth. I didn't have a trim router so that baby is a real joy.

Chuck

chris99z71

New User
Chris
The Charlotte show was fun, not to mention informative for an inexperienced woodworker such as myself. It was great to meet everyone and the conversations with Roger (Sapwood) on the way there and back were grand!
He even let me see the now infamous scene of his staged electrolysis experiment.
The most expensive part for me was buying a jointer out of the back of some guy's truck in the parking lot (thanks Brandon!). I also took John's advice and bought the In-Line blade. A set of board-buddies and some t-track rounded out my purchases.
Not too bad...I didn't get into too much trouble when I got home after explaining how much I had "saved". She did come back with the "just wait until I go find a shoe sale and I can "save" some money too" story.

M

McRabbet

chris99z71 said:
The Charlotte show was fun, not to mention informative for an inexperienced woodworker such as myself. It was great to meet everyone and the conversations with Roger (Sapwood) on the way there and back were grand!
A set of board-buddies and some t-track rounded out my purchases.

Chris -- not sure if you found the track for the Board Buddies, but here is a cheaper source for the 24" model that I used.

It was great meeting you and all the other NC WW crowd at the show -- and Sapwood, too (sans helmet!) Rob

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Great seeing/meeting all of you guys and gals on Saturday! That set of LN chisels and the folding Japanese backsaw at Silky Saw were in my dreams on Saturday night. Went back to the show on Sunday with the lovely and talented better half and the place was much easier to manage...about 1/2 the volume of attendees. Brought the saw home. Put in an order for the chisels and an extra set of long handles. Chisels are backordered for 4 months! Let's see...between now and 4 months I'll have a wedding anniversary and a Birthday. Um....it's an annibirthday gift honey. Yeah, that's the ticket!
Mark
Ooopppsss! Sorry Steve, poor choice of words!:mrgreen:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Called Chrsler Customer Service today and they have agreed to reimburse me $334.09 of my brake repair cost since the original problem happen while under warranty. Now lets see if the check is "really in the mail". That would almost pay for my purchases at the show. :mrgreen:

gator

George
Corporate Member
woodguy1975 said:
Got a multiprofile bit for less than $30. Great deal.

Well, back to the woodworking....

See ya,

John

Not to hijack the thread but, I've had one of those bits for a couple of years and I have a problem. I am creatively challanged. For us CC types it sure would be nice to have some illustrated suggestions (line drawings would do) of what combination cuts create what final profiles (horizontal this section, vertical this section, etc). Since you are such a creative guy, perhaps you could put together such a manual and sell it to us CC types. No one else has one that I can find.

Heck, maybe you could even author one for someone like Woodline or MLCS to sell and make some royalities.

George

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea they do look like fun to experiment with... looks like you can just make a "model" piece out of scrap with the whole profile, then just pick the part that you need... Here are a couple of pics from the Freud multiprofile bit:

565_MultiPrflCtr_A.gif
565_MultiPrflCtr_D.gif

I would like to have picked up one of those at the show, too... but by that time I was monetarily challenged! :eusa_doh:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Sharp Blade said:
Well, I made it to the show as well, but it was really kind of depressing for me because I could not spend a dime. LOL. I did miss meeting anyone, sorry for that. I was on a time restraint and had to get home by 1:30 on Saturday. I was wondering what people thought of the Route-R-Joint. Did anyone see that demo at Woodline?

Sharp Blade, I purchased his complete package at the 2005 show. I used the half-blind dovetail kit to make all my cabinet drawers on my recent house remodel. The system probably isn't as good as say Porter-Cable or other brands of dovetail jigs but I got good results. And these were the first dovetails I had ever done. As you saw in his demo and samples you have all kinds of other interesting patterns you can use plus you have the different box joint setups. I have not used the system yet to do box joints and the other fancy joints but plan to when I get some some other projects finished. By the way he will replace the templates etc. even if you screw them up by doing something dumb. See my earlier post in this thread. Wayne is developing more patterns. He said he almost has the computer program finished to cut the patterns. He showed me a sketch of them. One is almost like a heart. And he has a customer that builds dog caskets that wants him to make a pattern in the shape of a bogbone so she can use that in the caskets.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Splinter said:
Sharp Blade, I purchased his complete package at the 2005 show. And he has a customer that builds dog caskets that wants him to make a pattern in the shape of a bogbone so she can use that in the caskets.

I almost built a dog casket this morning, my dog got loose and I almost strangled her. :evil: LOL

Anyway, he did have a heart pattern with him at the show. I plan on buying it when I can. I also understand the value of the Leigh, Aveda and PC jigs.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If those heart and bone templates are anything like the Isolock templates from Leigh, then he has something going there. I think they want around $2-300 just for the template. But the joint they create is awesome.

Dave:)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
DaveO said:
If those heart and bone templates are anything like the Isolock templates from Leigh, then he has something going there. I think they want around $2-300 just for the template. But the joint they create is awesome.

Dave:)

Yeah, the one he did was kind of a strange overlocking heart. Where the top of the heart is overlapping the edge of the joint. Beatiful yet strange. The box joints were flawless. The interlocking heart and bone jont was very nice. That's what sold me on the jigs.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Perfect reply Monty. That was what I was going to look for. The second row and third profile over is what I'm going to as molding around the bottom of the chest of drawers on top of the bracket feet. I wanted a classical type of profile and that fit the bill.

Thanks,

John

chris99z71

New User
Chris
McRabbet said:
Chris -- not sure if you found the track for the Board Buddies, but here is a cheaper source for the 24" model that I used.

It was great meeting you and all the other NC WW crowd at the show -- and Sapwood, too (sans helmet!) Rob

Thanks, Rob. I'm looking at those trying to figure out whether to go that way or to just make something out of a piece of heavy t-track that I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS