Charlotte Woodworkers Mtg, Tues 11/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Hi everyone -

Just wanted to let you know that Phil Ashley has asked me to be the speaker at the Charlotte Woodworkers Meeting, next Tues, Nov 21, at 6:30 PM. Held at the Well of Hope Lutheran Church, 6400 Old Reid Rd in Charlotte (near Southpark.) We decided that it might be an interesting program if we presented a PowerPoint slide show of about 15 of my commissions (about 75 pictures) as a springboard for any discussions that those who attend want to pursue - including the business aspect of my career, design, marquetry, inlay, construction techniques, particular challenges presented by very large pieces, finish choices and aplication, wood bending, steam bending etc. We're going to let the group guide the direction(s) of the presentation, which is very exciting to me.

As well, there will be a handout of something I wrote several years ago about what makes a piece of furniture an "heirloom," or of "heirloom" quality. I discuss what I believe to be the three elements of such pieces - the aesthetic, the structural, and the functional aspects of the design and execution. This could be a topic of discussion/debate as well.

I'm posting this primarily because being relatively new to the site, I haven't met but a few of its members. I would love to meet and speak with more fellow woodworkers, and this might be a chance to do this for those of you who live in or near Charlotte. If you plan on coming and would like to let me know of a topic of particular interest to you, I'd love to hear about it in advance.

Hope to see you there -
Roger Goldman

timsparents@earthlink.net

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great presentation. I'll try my best to be there.
One think tho . . .
Did you mean "Tuesday is the 21st"???

pete

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Yes we glad and thankfull Roger is going to speak at our upcoming meeting! Visitors are certainly welcomed and encouraged to attend.

I think Roger will have a great presentation and I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Phil Ashley

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang-it, Charlotte is too far for me to drive. It sounds like an excellent presentation. You should consider giving a presentation at a TWA meeting also.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

And we might just invite Roger to come out to Asheville to speak to our group as well, the Western NC Woodworker's Association.

As an aside Roger, would you be willing to share your document on "making an heirloom" by uploading it to our Download Library? If it is not in PDF format, I can translate most word processing files into PDF files and upload it for you. Thanks for considering this request.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Hi Rob -
I'd be happy to share what I wrote about what I think "Heirloom" furniture involves. However, it is currently a "Word" document. If you give me your email address, I'd be happy to attach it to an email to you, and then you can convert it to pdf and upload it. I'd be honored, and I'd be very interested in other members responses/thoughts concerning my thoughts.
Thanks for the offer -
Roger
PS I'll be out of town from tomorrow (Weds) thru Sunday doing an installation in Tucson so if you do send me your email address I probably won't get to it until next week.

timsparents@earthlink.net

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Roger ...I have them so I'll post them in .pdf format. - Hope you have a safe and good trip to AZ.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Here are pdf files or Rogers Bio & Thoughts on Heirloom Furniture.

Attachments

• Roger_Goldman_woodworker.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Roger's_Thoughts_on_Heirloom_Furniture.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 177

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hi Roger, I'll plan on being there! It'll be a good opportunity to meet you if we don't get together before that!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Just a bump to bring to the top so folks won't forget about the meeting Tuesday and Roger's Presentation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS