Charlotte Show Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I took a long lunch and went down to the show today. NCWW has a nice set up. I got to meet ScottM and saw Gotcha along with several other folks. I won't name them all cause I'm sure I'll miss some.

One thing to note is the layout isn't what I saw posted earlier, also it is in Freedom Hall which is on the left wing as you go down the hill. Previously its been in the hall on the right hand side.

Along those lines the NCWW'r booth is the first one after the book depot on the far right hand side as you enter the show floor, not in the back left as previously reported.

If you are up for a short walk you can park in the bottom of the Bojangles Arena parking lot, walk through the tunnel up the hill and around the entire building and save $ 6 on parking. I've done it that way for years it's not a bad walk and leaves more money for goodies.

The show was pretty crowded I thought for a Friday, it's condensed and the aisle are small so that helps it look crowded too.

There were more vendors than the last time there were here. I picked up a couple odds and ends:

1. Mann Tool out of columbia had a grab box of Bosch Jig Saw blades for a buck a piece.
  2. The Woodworking Source had some nice turning blanks so I got a chunk of redwood, hopefully I won't split it.
  3. Peachtree Supply had some little folding milk crates on wheels I got one for my MIL for $ 10 I've never seen them that cheap.
  4. I got a Bowl sanding disc set up from Craft Supply.
Not bad for a long lunch. Also saw my friends at Charlotte Woodworkers they have a good booth too.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
It was good to see you there this afternoon. It was alot different than a few years ago but still had a good time. Can't beat an afternoon of looking at tools and woodworking paraphernalia....

DWSmith

New User
David
For the life of me I can't get excited/interested in these shows. For most of 20 years, as a tool rep in the southeast, I had to work the shows. Like this one, there are three hard days of work at the show, a long day of set up and then tearing down and getting out while every other vendor is trying to do the same thing.

A lot of the shows look like carnival alleys with the dealers sounding more like carnival hawkers than tool sellers. I know I will be called down for this but a lot of the stuff there is just plain junk, aimed at the misinformed and those who will buy anything.

At the IWF the fourth day was "stupid question" day, always. That was the day the pros stayed home and the locals came to the show. Once, a man walked up to me carrying a saw blade and said he wanted to ask some questions about carbide blades. I suggested that he walk around the corner to the Freud booth and I was sure they could take care of him more than adequately. With that he stormed off complaining loudly that the Freud people didn't know anything about carbide blades. Go figure.

An hour there is okay, but three days is exhausting!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I got there this morning to set up, I learned the difference between Freedom Hall and Liberty Hall the hard way. Upon entering the building with vendors and exhibitors running around like a Chinese fire drill, I asked the coordinator where our booth was. She pointed to a booth already set up by Charlotte WWers. Realizing the mistake, she took me to the only vacant booth there. Prime real estate, IMO. She asked if it was OK, and I cried a few alligator tears before saying, "Yes, It'll do."
It was a very busy day. People were coming all afternoon long up until about 5:30. The show closed at 6:00. It looks to be a good show for everyone participating. Many demos and items to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS