Changing large cansister dust filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

New User
Chris
I have a Jet 1100vx dust collector with the 2 micron canister filter. It is a few years old. I ran in to an overfill situation while planing so I pulled the canister and vacuumed out the debris on the inside of the canister. For lower cost non-washable filters in smaller vacuums, I use the eyeball test and replace as needed but that is a different economic scale. Which leads to the question, given that many cyclone and single stage collectors utilize a similar canister style:

For those that use a dust collector with a large canister style filter (read expensive to replace), how do you decide on replacing? Do you vacuum the inside of the canister filter at some interval?
I guess ideally you'd measure air flow or airborne particulate counts.

thanks

redknife

New User
Chris
Doesnt that unit have an agitator inside of it?
Yes it does. The blades that agitate are about 8-10" tall out of the total canister height such that the middle is most effectively cleared and the top/bottom less so. Most of the vacuuming I did was at the top and bottom. I do use the agitator but ostensibly small particles less affected by the agitator will clog the filter at some point.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have the large cannister but I do take my small cannister outside and blow it out with compressed air about every six months. Is that an option you can use?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Take a dead blow hammer and lightly tap it all the way around to release the dust...that's all that should be in the cannister

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Are you seeing a degradation in the vacuum? I dont believe the should ever really need to be replaced, you can blow air from the outside in as wellhookup a shopvac to the output (blowing) side and use that.

redknife

New User
Chris
Are you seeing a degradation in the vacuum? I dont believe the should ever really need to be replaced, you can blow air from the outside in as wellhookup a shopvac to the output (blowing) side and use that.
I still have good chip collection- who's to say about particles without some measurement. Raymond - yeah, I have an air compressor that I could use so that is an option.
Anyway, I'm hearing a consensus. Agitate, vacuum, or blow (out to in) as needed. Don't worry about replacement without overt performance problem.
thanks all

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I still have good chip collection- who's to say about particles without some measurement. Raymond - yeah, I have an air compressor that I could use so that is an option.
Anyway, I'm hearing a consensus. Agitate, vacuum, or blow (out to in) as needed. Don't worry about replacement without overt performance problem.
thanks all
If you do choose the blow out option, take it outside and DO NOT FACE INTO THE WIND. DAMHIKT

Cato

New User
Bob
I do pretty much as the others have mentioned. I use my agitator paddles on my Pennstate DC canister, but a couple times a year I will tap it with deadblow on outsides to shake what I can, then follow up with a soft bristle brush in the inside pleats before removing the canister. Then I take it outside and hit it with shopvac and compressed air.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I figured only replace the filter once you see dust in the shop after the pleats have worn through from the agitator rubbing from the inside. I've had mine for several years and maintain just as others have already said, so far I've not seen a problem with dust going through that shouldn't, and no reduced performance when cleaned once in a while/as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS