Chainsaw Sharpeners ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I still believe a file is the best method. I use a locking micrometer (you can use anything that locks to the length of the shortest tooth) to be sure all the teeth are about the same length. And I use the raker tooth gauge to file the rackets down so the teeth can cut to the proper depth.

I had my chain sharpened on a machine one time and they took off three times as much metal as I would. That is a waste and costly to replace the chain more often.

o2thd

New User
o2thd
I do mine with a file by hand as well and take down the rakers from the get go then a little every other sharpening. Also like to use more aggresive chain from the dealers, what a difference. Just bought a new saw a few months ago . Husqvarna 555 auto tune god what a saw. My favorite Husq 350 went to heaven. Is there a chainsaw section on here ?? Hint Hint . Buddy just bought a husq 272 pro and a 4k lb winch to hook to it were gonna try it out this weekend. Ive never used or seen a chainsaw winch have you guys?

cpw

New User
Charles
I still believe a file is the best method.

+1

I had my chain sharpened on a machine one time and they took off three times as much metal as I would. That is a waste and costly to replace the chain more often.

I've never done that, but I know from experience that there is no way a grinder is not going to take off a lot more metal than hand filing. If you maintain the chain and use a vise, once you get a rhythm it doesn't take that long to hand file. Plus, I'm not going to take a powered grinder into the field.

I use a locking micrometer (you can use anything that locks to the length of the shortest tooth) to be sure all the teeth are about the same length.

I've never been quite that anal about it, but I probably should be. I just count my strokes as I file each tooth, but invariably some teeth end up shorter and the cut suffers. Then I switch to a new chain, but i don't throw them away. I keep telling myself that I'll take the time to even them back up and get more use out of them.

And I use the raker tooth gauge to file the rackets down so the teeth can cut to the proper depth.

I ordered this kit from Stihl that is designed especially for my saw that includes the depth gauge for the rakers. I start checking them after 3-4 sharpenings since the last time I filed them down. I usually have to file them down again after about the 5th or 6th sharpening.

manfre

New User
Manfre
$8 to sharpen a chain at the town & country hardware near my house. I'm pretty sure they use a grinder, but I only need the chain sharpened 3-4 times per year. Not often enough to get good at sharpening and the time it would take me to sharpen a chain is worth more than $8.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When i get fired up for wood cutting season I sharpen the chainsaw 3-4 times a week, sometimes twice a day. I sharpen 12-16 times before the teeth are too short to cut. Then I throw them in a box to be saved and sent off to a friend who forges damascus knife blades. When it goes from two inch long shavings to 1/4 inch chips I stop and sharpen. 10-15 minutes and I'm back at it. No time to go to the shop much less a store somewhere miles away with a waiting list ahead of me. I depend on my saw to keep my family warm all winter. No time for gimmicks or waiting for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS