CD rack (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

In an effort to kid proof the family room I needed to make a new cd rack with doors to keep little fingers out. It is not fine furniture. I used plywood and pocket hole joinery. I will just spray a clear finish on it and be done with it. I think I have about 7 hours in it so far. Each shelf will hold about 100 cd's, so with 13 shelves that's 1300. That's a lot of music. Need to do lots of sanding and hang the doors, install knobs and some kind of lock. I will post more when it's finished.
cd%20rack%201.jpg
cd%20rack%203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, that looks great. I had to do something with my AV equipment and media also for the same reason. I might suggest, if you haven't already thought of this, to anchor it to the wall somehow. My 2 yr. old is part monkey and will climb on anything she can. I never realized how many ladders I made for her:slap:
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
That looks great - show us how it looks when you get it finished. Do you have 1300 CD's? That sounds like quite a library!

T

toolferone

Dave, Yes it will be anchored to the wall. The rack I am using right now is almost as big, but no doors and it is screwed to the wall. with the doors closed it is not much of a ladder.

Insomniac, I think my wife and I have about 700 Cd's. I didn't realize I was making it so big. We will use the extra space for other storage.

I will post pic when it is done.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
It looks like a VERY nice CD rack sitting in a VERY nice shop!

That's a heckuva lotta shelves! And there's some workmanship that went into making it look that good!

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks really nifty, Tom. How did you finish the edges of the plywood? ( I assume that it is 1/2" plywood - right?) I too have a pretty large collection that has gotten pretty hard to store and access easily. This design looks like a great alternative for storing AV and CD's.

Great Work!

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great idea putting the doors on there Tom to keep the little ones out.:icon_thum I look forward to seeing it once you get it all finished up with the doors hung.

Hmmmmmm.......:eusa_thin I wonder if I could build a scaled down version to hold all three of my CDs.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
What a clever idea. We're going to build in shelves around the fireplace - makes me think we should incorporate this idea into those plans. We'll never have that many cd's but could make some of those shelves fit DVD's and VHS tapes. Please, do post the vinished pictures. How did you finish the efges of the plywood?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Looks very nice. You never have too much storage. It is amazing how quickly you can accumulate CD's and DVD's. Thank goodness they are the same size. When my son was little we went ahead and made a concession on things like this and just let him have access to the bottom two or three shelves, whatever he could reach, and put junky stuff on those for him to play with. In a year or two they outgrow that kind of behavior and are into something else.:-D :-D :-D Again nice job!!!!:icon_thum

T

toolferone

cskipper said:
How did you finish the efges of the plywood?

I ripped 3/16" strips out of soft maple and glued and pin nailed them on. I did the 2 long sides first and then cut the ones for the shelves to fit in between.

R

rickc

Looks real nice Tom! Did you ever finish your workbench, or did the holidays creep up?

T

toolferone

rcorne01 said:
Did you ever finish your workbench, or did the holidays creep up?

Holidays,making X-mas gifts, cold weather, honey-do list, price of eggs in China, have all played a part in my efforts to work on the bench:eusa_booh . Someday when I am old , gray and retired I might get the bench done.

But hey, thanks for asking!!

R

rickc

Figure you will finish it about 1 week before you decided you have out grown your shop! I, too, spent quite a bit of time (of course nothing but last minute!) in the shop before the holidays. I figure I should have allowed about 2 weeks more than I did. Decided I will REALLY start earlier next year. Figure about the time I come back from summer vacation in July!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors