Category STOOPID: Ridgid planer knife orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I spent the day cleaning the gunk off my jointer- and planer knives. I now have one cut on my left finger, and one cut on my right thumb. At least they're still sharp!

I made the mistake of removing BOTH planer knives at the same time. That wasn't too smart. I think I put them back the right way, but the test board I ran through didn't plane right. Maybe I didn't seat one of the knives properly, but I have this nagging doubt I may have put the knife in upside down.....

So, does the broad side or the narrow side face up when you're "feeding" the knife into the slot? And why is there no picture in the manual? And why does a Google search not return 1,042 posts of people just as stupid as me?

If you have the Ridgid planer (two knife version) - I'd appreciate if you could share the secret! Oh, and be careful, those blades are sharp. Do as I say, not as I do.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If I am picturing this right (in my mind). Planer knives bevel up, counter clockwise rotation. Jointer knives bevel up, clockwise rotation.
Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
In general, when working with a removable cutting edge that are only sharpened on one edge, the "thicker" or larger portion is what is clamped, and the narrower cutting edge is what protrudes.

If the larger portion protruded, it would be easier for the knife to bend or break.

Make sense?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Again, sounds like something I would do. I haven't done it with the planer or jointer (YET), but I did do it one time with a set of drum brakes. Took me 4 hours to figure out how to put it back together as I mixed up all the parts.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? I ask a lazy, stupid up/ down question, and I get all this great advice on blade orientation! I know - give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and now he's spending all his time and money on fishing, fishing gear, reading fishing magazines, participating in fishing competitions etc.

Anyway, on a more serious note - thank you! I think I had the knife thickness part worked out (it's hard to push nail into wood head first too), but had reversed the whole clockwise/ counterclockwise thing. Planed some scrap red oak this morning, and it came out beautiful.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
We must be related.....:eusa_shhh Fortunately, I never make the same mistake twice. If I did, I'd never get around to making all the other mistakes :-D

Drum brakes? Is that how you stop a drum sander?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Don't feel bad Bas, I was rubbing some waxed paper over my jointer bed and suddenly noticed something was wrong when the wax paper started turning red. I didn't even notice that I had sliced my index finger on the blade:BangHead:.

Jimmy:)

ps. as you say "at least I now know that the blades are sharp"

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Again, sounds like something I would do. I haven't done it with the planer or jointer (YET), but I did do it one time with a set of drum brakes. Took me 4 hours to figure out how to put it back together as I mixed up all the parts.
That is what digital cameras are for. Instant memory for those of us who have CRS. Once, I was brought a chain saw in a burlap bag. Owner wanted to know if I could put it back together. I did, for a "small fee". Took about two hours total. He thought my fee wasn't small though.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bas, when you figure how to get "delay function" on STUPID LIGHT fixed, let me know. Mine also need fixing. A friend was once given a band saw. Guy said it wouldn't cut anything. Friend reversed the blade and lo and behold it cuts! I have seen that happen on table and miter saws also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS