Carolina Waterfowl Rescue needs help fom Woodworkers

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
the DNR instructions don't have the "cuts" on the inside face of the box like he shows in the video, but that seems logical to me - along with the oval hole rather than a large round hole??? also isn't it weird that the front is 12 inches wide and the back is 10 inches wide (or do I need to increase my prescription) i didn't print it out, I am looking at it on the screen, but couldn't zoom in...
You need to check again.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
We stapled wire mesh in ours. I put one of the boxes up in my back yard. I know one family of wood ducks has hatched and moved out of it.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Berta, cypress is getting hard to find, and $$$$$ I will get on it asap, right now kinda buried as you know. might be about 2 weeks b4 I can see daylight

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What other wood can we use? (White Oak?)

Skymaster

New User
Jack
white oak is good but again very popular therefore costly. Ivey has a pile of shorts in cypress we can have however I dont have time to run out to wilmington and it is all green and wet

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
white oak is good but again very popular therefore costly. Ivey has a pile of shorts in cypress we can have however I dont have time to run out to wilmington and it is all green and wet
O.K. is Ivey able to dry them? (he has or had a kiln, right?)

Skymaster

New User
Jack
no longer mill is up for sale. o_O:oops: going to miss him.he has been having problems getting logs. He has a pile of shorts but tons of work and time to make what you can usable out of them. Have done this before a real bear. DRY is major major problem, these a outside in a pile

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
no longer mill is up for sale. o_O:oops: going to miss him.he has been having problems getting logs. He has a pile of shorts but tons of work and time to make what you can usable out of them. Have done this before a real bear. DRY is major major problem, these a outside in a pile
HUH!
Too bad we don't have someone close who could get a few pieces to see what happens if we simply build it "wet." They are going to be out in the weather, so...

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Hank last time I tried running green and wet I had to STOP and dry out all the water that was accumulating in my planer/jointer.literally puddles of water. IF we had a place that could get it under cover and air dry it for next year great or someone who has a kiln that could dry it. This is rough lumber, it would have to have some machining to make useable once dry enough. Keep inside rough instead of cross hatching would be ok, outside i think smooth would shed water better. right now I am having some issues that would prevent me from driving out there but once fixed I could make the run

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hank last time I tried running green and wet I had to STOP and dry out all the water that was accumulating in my planer/jointer.literally puddles of water. IF we had a place that could get it under cover and air dry it for next year great or someone who has a kiln that could dry it. This is rough lumber, it would have to have some machining to make useable once dry enough. Keep inside rough instead of cross hatching would be ok, outside i think smooth would shed water better. right now I am having some issues that would prevent me from driving out there but once fixed I could make the run

Ivey Pridgen is the cypress sawyer in Burgaw, NC and he's about 120 miles from Skymaster.

Is he closing his sawmill operation entirely?

This one is from Audobon. They use cypress or cedar and attach metal mesh to the inside of the front for the ducklings to climb to the hole.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
According to the Louisiana Dept of Natural Resources. Rough cut cypress or cedar can be used for the boxes and the entrance hole can be round or oval. Not a big deal either way.

"Cut out and nail pieces as shown. A 4-inch by 3-inch oval or 4-inch circular hole should be cut into the front of the box near the top, making sure the overhanging roof will not impede entrance. Rough-cut wood is necessary for ducklings to use theirsharp claws to climb to the opening and jump out. If using smooth wood, a sectionof hardware cloth or window screen stapled to the front interior of the box just belowthe entrance hole will provide ducklings a climbing substrate. Two finishing nailsdriven through the front and back of the box, and into the left and right sides of the door will serve as a hinge for cleaning access.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Jeff, sadly seems so. spoke to him bout a week ago, has all his stock sold or under contract and his sawmill is up for sale. It is a heck of a haul for me so i didn't do it regularly, but when we needed materials for the urns I wood make a run, load up as much as possible

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff, sadly seems so. spoke to him bout a week ago, has all his stock sold or under contract and his sawmill is up for sale. It is a heck of a haul for me so i didn't do it regularly, but when we needed materials for the urns I wood make a run, load up as much as possible

Health issues and old age takes its toll. Are you still planning to go to Ivey's place and bring back the wet cypress?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will put it to the board - does anyone have an idea of the board feet needed to make this a "real" group project?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS