Can You Identify This Wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
I have a piece of wood with rather interesting grain that I haven't seen before. I have resawed and taken pictures under different light, thus the difference in color.
Can you identify?
Roy

Attachments

• P3190006.jpg
    P3190006.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 241
  • P3190007.JPG
    P3190007.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 237

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Yup, I sure can. That's so easy, I'll let you figure it out.

Haven't a clue what you have there. some interesting figure, tho. :slap:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No idea, but it is has very unique figure. You might try to compare it to the pictures listed here. This is one of the best sites for "truth" in wood pictures, don't mind the stuff on the front page the site is functional as of last night.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Good luck, and keep us posted if you find out what it is and if you can get some more:-D

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
No idea, but it is has very unique figure. You might try to compare it to the pictures listed here. This is one of the best sites for "truth" in wood pictures, don't mind the stuff on the front page the site is functional as of last night.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Good luck, and keep us posted if you find out what it is and if you can get some more:-D

Thanks Dave, that is a pretty interesting site. I can't believe the number of species they have listed there.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sharp Blade said:
Roy, I believe that to be Ash. Very uniquely figured ash.

Anna-Catherine

That would be my first guess also. I milled up some normal Ash today with Arcrist, and that was the first thing that came to my mind. But that figure, wow 8-O 8-O There's nothing like a piece of Ash with nice figure to boot...sorry I couldn't help myself, I'm bad very bad :eusa_snoo

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Roy, Where did the wood come from? Was it grown here in the mountains? Is it hard or soft? What does it smell like? I think I know what it is.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chris, You win!!! I logged on this morning with the intention of explaining that it was Cypress and found your answer. Planning to build a replica of an old tool chest, I went to Gennett in Asheville and bought some of their 4/4 x 16' cypress. I noticed the end of one of the boards didn't look good, but took it anyway. This, of course, was the wild grain that turned out to be so striking after it was planed. Then I got the idea to use this as a feature by resawing and bookmatching for the panel in the center of the lid.
It's a rather bland looking piece with no finish. I'll post more after the finish.
Roy

Attachments

• P3070008.JPG
    P3070008.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 217

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow........great looking tool chest there Roy.:icon_thum One of the things I love about working with rough wood is that you never know what treasure might be buried inside until you run it through a planer.

D L

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's gonna look spectacular with the figured panel. Makes a nice piece even nicer!! Can't wait to see it with some finish...at least some MS.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, Roy, what a great idea. I agree with Dave O, gonna look great when you finish it!

I don't have much experience working with cypress but can imagine your joy when you uncovered that gem!!

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice. Looking back at it now that you have told, it does look like cypress. Did you do some handplaning on it?

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Travis,
You bet I did! I resawed the 3/4" to approx 3/8" and tried planing with DW733 and found severe chipout due to wild grain. Went to hand planing in various directions as the grain demanded. (A pain in the you know what.) Finally was down to less than 3/16" by the time I finished with hand planes and a card scraper.
This, by itself, would never do for the top of a tool chest. Too thin, so I glued the matchbooked pieces to 1/2" plywood using Titebond II. Just as you are probably thinking, that created a nice warp as it dried. The next step was to prepare a similar thickness of cypress to glue to the bottom side. Perhaps this was my lucky day, it dried straight.
Had I been willing to use a plain piece of straight grain cypress for this panel, it would have taken less than 10 minutes to cut it to size. I suppose that's the beauty of being retired and not having anything like production times to concern me.
This is the nearest that I have come to veneering. That's for another time.
Roy

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, you are now an official "veneerer". That is about the same level of veneering I have done, just didn't hand plane it. The figure is gorgeous. I don't get into production either, hence why I really don't take on commissions. I would rather do the stuff at my own pace and leisure. That is what makes it relaxing and fun for me, otherwise, it would be a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors