Call for Shop moral support....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've started to organize my shop.

This might sound like a retread of past threads, but hey, when its happening to me, that makes it new and interesting to everyone! Right? Er. anyone?

My shop has been mostly inaccessible for way too long. Any kind of work I wanted to do had to be done in the yard.

So, I've dedicated an hour a day to spend in the shop putting things away. So far, its painfully slow and frustrating. :BangHead:

I've given up organizing or setting up work flow. Right now, its just get stuff off the floor and being able to stand in the shop.

The big things today, my jointer and scroll saw (both the electron kind) are now off the floor and on my storage shelving. :icon_cheers

As of 4:53pm today, I no longer have to step over both tools in a dance that would get me a featured spot in either the Royal Ballet or Cirque du Soleil or the Muppet show.

I'm going to keep updating this thread to keep me on track and make my pledge to NCWW everywhere.....

Pics to follow tomorrow. I am just too ashamed to post current state. :swoon:

I pledge that my shop will be usable by April 23, 2010 at 6:23pm!!!

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll take the pledge with ya, Jim. :icon_thum But it doesn't mean I won't backslide once in awhile...... :embaresse

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Even with the incredible amount of jun, uh storage items in my shop i haven't let it get that bad.

at least i don't think so...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
You've taken the first step to recovery. :icon_thum :gar-La;

Nah, good for you buddy! I know it can get a little hectic in the shop, all though I think you should move your stuff back to the floor and post a video of you doing your dance number before posting pics of the shop all cleaned up. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Rob

New User
Rob
I've been spending the last month getting stuff off the floor, and I have more room then you. Looks like I'm going to be building more cabinets in my never ending quest for organization soon.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Here's to ya Jim! I've not seen the surface of my workbench in months. Thank God for the assembly table!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
......Looks like I'm going to be building more cabinets in my never ending quest for organization soon.

Well. It's like this Rob.

I started on a small cabinet for tool storage on Saturday. Guess what! I have an even worse case of clutter on my hands. More cutoffs, sawdust and parts in process so that even I can't find anymore space to work! Backed myself into the proverbial corner in a quest to organize!!!:BangHead:

Organizing is fun and a great time waster 'round here.

Good luck on the cleanup, Jim!!!:wsmile:

Wayne

ebrant

New User
Ed
I've been fighting that fight for months and I'm at the point where something has to go. I've found boxes of things I had in grade school. It's always that I can't do this because that has to come first and something else shows up that needs to be done ahead of that. If I took an hour a day I wouldn't live long enough to get it done and there are plenty of days when I don't get anything at all done. I promise myself that every Thursday something goes to the curb. And boy am I going to have a good campfire the first weekend I go camping this year.:gar-Bi

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Don't sweat it Jim!:nah: organization is for sissies!:rotflm: the mess just inspires creativity!:icon_cheers that's my story and I'm stickin tuit!:gar-Bi

richlife

New User
Rich
Hey, Jim. But what about ME?! I have to get my shop "pristine" for the crawl this Saturday! (Good luck, guys -- you get whatever!)

Frankly the best advice I can give you is something I read somewhere (now isn't that encouraging?) Whenever you have the need to put something back, put ten things back. Funny how this really does help :eusa_danc. I don't really put ten things back, but I do tend now to put several things back as I see them out of place. It's funny how I can find my tools more often when I need them. I also try to do a reasonable cleanup (meaning no more than an hour spent) whenever I complete a "significant" project. 'Course that can be months between times... :dontknow: Rich

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Hey, Jim. But what about ME?! I have to get my shop "pristine" for the crawl this Saturday! (Good luck, guys -- you get whatever!)

Frankly the best advice I can give you is something I read somewhere (now isn't that encouraging?) Whenever you have the need to put something back, put ten things back. Funny how this really does help :eusa_danc. I don't really put ten things back, but I do tend now to put several things back as I see them out of place. It's funny how I can find my tools more often when I need them. I also try to do a reasonable cleanup (meaning no more than an hour spent) whenever I complete a "significant" project. 'Course that can be months between times... :dontknow: Rich

HA!!!!! I put ten things back quite often.:icon_cheers However I get 20 things out more often....:rotflm: and they don't always get put in the same place either.....:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think this begs the question, "How do you know when you are done?" Just what is good enough? OK, if I ask the question, I guess I have to proffer at least one idea for an answer. Start by making a list of completion criteria.

• clear of scrap and sawdust?
  • x square feet of open space?
  • able to get to any tool without moving any other tool?
  • able to at least see any tool?
  • cleared off workbenches?
Maybe I need to start making MY list... :nah:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, I think you have the date right (April 23rd), but I have confidence in you and your organizational prowess...I think you will have it ready earlier than 6:23 p.m....I am going with 6:13 p.m, a whole 10 minutes early! Persistence, hustle and that never give up attitude...you've got it all going for you!

Cheers,
:eek:ccasion1
Donn

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Been slowly doing the same in my shop for a few weeks now. You should have seen all the curlies on the floor. PLus I just found out that and quickly forgot there is a TS in my shop. Ha! I need to make some cabinets and get my ceiling shelfs hung. Neverending I tell you. Sad part is it'll take me a few weeks to get it organized and a few hrs. to wreck it.:gar-Bi

nelsone

New User
Ed
Jim, if you don't post the before pics, how will we know you really did anything???:dontknow:

Maybe you are just trying to get some attention!!!

BTW, I've been working the last couple weeks trying to do the same to mine! If we had started this earlier we could have set up a competition to see whose shop improved the most! Unfortunately I didn't take any before pics either!:BangHead:

Good luck!

DougW

New User
Doug w
Froglips good luck on your quest to be organized. Getting organized is the hardest challenge I've faced in my shop.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've stopped tidying up my shop. I just move when it gets too bad.

Oh, sorry, forgot the moral support part. Go Jim! Go Jim! Go Jim!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Go, Jim, go... You never know, you might find something really valuable buried in there... :gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
You have my full support Jim, today I finally made progress in my shop. It only took 2 1/2 years to start to have some semblance of order. :embaresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS