Calendar Contest winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The voting is over. I am kinda disappointed in the total number that voted but it is what it is. Before I announce the winners we have work to do. Please double check that I have read the totals correctly:

Cover - ErnieM
Spindel - flyrod444
Face - DavidF
Pen - AlexL (no surprise there)
Small - mlzettl
Chair at tie between WoodWrangler and Walnutjerry
Large - Striker
Built-in - Robb Paker
Scroll - wdkits1
Carving - PeteM
Other - ErnieM
Tools - Shamrock
Antiques - mlzettl

Now bbased on our rules:
- People are eligible to enter in multiple categories however no one can win more then one prize. In this case the next highest vote getter will be the winner.

- In the event of a first place tie winners will receive their prizes but the calendar committee will select the picture that is published. The only exception would be if one of the winners also won in another category.

Since the cover prize is higher I would like to declare ErnieM the winner. So Ken Massingale will be the winner of the Other catergory.

The problem comes with Antiques and Small Projects won by mlzettl. If we declare him the winner of antiques then FredP wins the Small projects. If we declare mlzettl the winner of Small Projects then Splint Eastwood wins in antiques. What I propose is to send a PM to mlzettl and ask hime what catergory he wants in the calendar.

Finally the tie for chairs. I recommend WoodWrangler's photo.

Please let me know your feelings.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, I concur with your recommendations across the board.

In a way, it's too bad about Ernie winning both cover and Other. I concur with awarding him the cover, but his child's harpsicord is clearly outstanding too.

Scott S

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
+1 on what Scott said.

One thing though, I got Rob's email, but I thought it had been agreed to let the winner pick their choice of where they wanted the prize from? Example, if Ernie wants Molding source and not Kilingspor.

M

McRabbet

I would recommend we award the Small category to FredP and the Antique category to mlzettl. Splint Eastwood's picture in Antiques is not in the same class as the other pictures (IMHO, it is fuzzy, at an awkward angle and not calendar quality). As for asking mlzettl for his choice, I would not ask a participant for his preference (mlzettl's entries received significant pluralities in both categories). I recommend Walnutjerry's Windspor chairs since they are his work, while the nice picture that Jeremy submitted has chairs by three members. I concur with the selection of Ken Massingale in the Other category. It is ironic that Phil Soper had 3 entries in the Cover contest as it may have diluted his chance of winning. YMMV.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am in agreement with your selections Scott. I also see Rob's point on Splint's photo quality.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
while the nice picture that Jeremy submitted has chairs by three members.

Rob, good point, but one also needs to consider if the ultimate reward is the prize, or seeing your work displayed on a calendar that's owned by hundreds of woodworkers?

By selecting Jeremy's photo, we're in essence rewarding three of our members, rather than just one, even if all three don't get a prize.

Scott

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
The photo quality is a catch 22. We accepted it and let people vote on it. If the quality was inferior we should not have done that.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did reach out to Matt (mlzettl) and he would much rather have his small project on the calendar then the antique tool. As he stated it is more a honor to be recognized for what you do vs what you own. Also he said the only reason he entered the antique tool was he that he felt bad that there were so few entries.

So with that said and unless someone objects I will annouce the winners tonight as follows:

Cover - ErnieM
Spindle - flyrod444
Face plate - DavidF
Pen - AlexL
Small projects - mlzettl
Chair a tie between WoodWrangler and Walnutjerry (WoodWrangler's picture will be posted)
Large project - Striker
Built-in - Robb Paker
Scroll - wdkits1
Carving - PeteM
Other - Ken Massingale
Tools - Shamrock
Antiques - Splint Eastwood

M

McRabbet

I agree with Scott Smith's comments, but here's another suggestion. How about putting WalnutJerry's picture on the back of the Calendar?? I believe it will be blank otherwise and that way he gets recognized as a winner and for his fine work, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors