Calendar Contest In Jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Yes It Is.
I really don't know what to do. There still wonderful pictures of wonderful projects that have been disqualified. The are more that should be. I have left a few in that I might be able to crop and still see the project. But that is a guess on my part.

There are categories that have no or almost no entries. With all the turners we have there are no valid entries in faceplate turning, only one pen, etc. etc.

Let me say this once again. The pictures need to be in portrait mode. Not landscape and not square. If the picture doesn't have enough extra space on the sides and the top, the pictures will be cut off in ways that are not acceptable. For those that understand this stuff and have photo manipulation software, take the picture and crop it at a ratio of 825 High to 575 wide. Does look all right?

Another way for those that don't understand this stuff, here is another approach:

1. Use a camera that is at least 2M pixels resolution.
2 . Turn your camera 90 deg before taking the picture.
3 Backup and or zoom so that there is plenty of space all around the project.

I will do the final cropping and resolution changes necessary for printing, but you got to give me something to work with.:BangHead::BangHead::help::help:

By custom only one picture per member is shown in the calendar and only one prize is given to a member. We just don't have enough valid pictures from enough different members for that to work.

Please give me more valid entries, NOW

A lot of this is my fault for trying to more pictures in the calendar and to divide them into categories. But right now it is too late to change things.

woodnick

New User
Nick
I hear you Steve. I'm working as fast as I can. If I don't finish my current project. Do you have any hint's as to making this chest work? Thanks Nick

Lingerie_Chest_2.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I did my part. unfortunately the stuff I do doesnt lend itself to portrait format. what I posted will work or not.:BangHead:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've been digging and just don't have enough upright photos. Are the collages (like I did with the bed) acceptable? I may be able to pull that off.

I did submit some covers though ... :gar-Bi

DavidF

New User
David
I've been digging and just don't have enough upright photos. Are the collages (like I did with the bed) acceptable? I may be able to pull that off.

I had to do a simple montage and that was ok. I simply followed the rules as I thought they should be. In Paintshop I opened a new layer with the max overall size allowed with dpi set to 300 and then cropped and fitted my pictures to the background layer leaving a 1/2" all round for the cropping. I then saved the assemble montage as a jpeg, checking that it met the requirements and so far no one has said it isn't suitable. It's in the furniture section if you want to take a look. If anything, the portrait format should have attracted a gazillion pens and turning as it lends its self to that much more than furniture. I found it extremely difficult to get this right. It took a number of hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Steve, are you saying that you would accept more than one entry from a member, if so I can try and do the same with the dining room table?

Rod

New User
Rod
Do you still need entries? I have 2 or 3 bowls that I did last year...and mallets. I have tried to take pics to post in the past but never have been able to get a good picture. I have no idea how to photograph wood. I have looked on the internet, asked people...yet still no help. All I get are glares/bland...crappy pics. I will try again tonight. Should I just post or should I email them to you?
Thanks,
Rod

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Not that you need, or want suggestions, at this point ... consider this (maybe for another year if it seems too painful to think about now)....

Instead of two photos per page, stick with one but on each calendar month display the photo (or collage) taking up 75% of the horizontal real estate and then on the other 25% use it as a biography of the craftsman. Maybe name, location, specialty, etc. It's like a "tour" through the months and provides more than just a pretty picture ... but helps us learn about our friends and NCWW community. Plus it requires less pictures.:thumbs_up

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

The collages are a great idea:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Do you still need entries? I have 2 or 3 bowls that I did last year...and mallets. I have tried to take pics to post in the past but never have been able to get a good picture. I have no idea how to photograph wood. I have looked on the internet, asked people...yet still no help. All I get are glares/bland...crappy pics. I will try again tonight. Should I just post or should I email them to you?
Thanks,
Rod
Post in the proper contest category in the photo gallery

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I had to do a simple montage and that was ok. I simply followed the rules as I thought they should be. In Paintshop I opened a new layer with the max overall size allowed with dpi set to 300 and then cropped and fitted my pictures to the background layer leaving a 1/2" all round for the cropping. I then saved the assemble montage as a jpeg, checking that it met the requirements and so far no one has said it isn't suitable. It's in the furniture section if you want to take a look. If anything, the portrait format should have attracted a gazillion pens and turning as it lends its self to that much more than furniture. I found it extremely difficult to get this right. It took a number of hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Steve, are you saying that you would accept more than one entry from a member, if so I can try and do the same with the dining room table?
yes you may enter as man entires as want. in as many cats as you want

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I'm working to get my miter saw station finished by the deadline-should get it very close to finished this weekend. Where's all the great projects we've seen throughout the year? I've seen at least a few awesome projects that I don't see submitted.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

tjwitzig

New User
Tom
Steve:

I guess I don't get it. My picture looked pretty good to me, plenty of resolution (I think), portrait format, space around the edges, yet it got deleted without any useful explanation. Do I re-post it or take another shot or photo shop it or what?

Thanks,
Tom Witzig

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Steve,
If there is anyway I could enter my pen pics Iwould love to do it.Just don't know how to get them in the right place:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:.
They are in my gallery My first pens. Thanks Robert Arrowood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS