buying first table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfpackerwebb

New User
webb
Woodcraft has the Jet 708100 on sale for 399 during the month of June. I need opinions on this saw along with the home deport rigid or any others under the $500 range. Thanks for any advise.

R

rickc

wolfpackerwebb said:
Woodcraft has the Jet 708100 on sale for 399 during the month of June. I need opinions on this saw along with the home deport rigid or any others under the $500 range. Thanks for any advise.

Click on this table saw thread (on this site) - it will probably give you the information you are looking for.

wolfpackerwebb

New User
webb
I've read that thread and found if very helpful but didn't know if anyone had an opinion on the Jet I listed or Jet in gereral.

R

rickc

wolfpackerwebb said:
I've read that thread and found if very helpful but didn't know if anyone had an opinion on the Jet I listed or Jet in gereral.

Opinions run rampant here! :lol: Just be sure you have the time to read them!!!! I am sure as the day goes on you will see plenty.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That Craftsman saw on Craigslist is probably worth the $150, providing everything is in good working order. A friend of mine has a similar saw and isn't happy with the fence, but with the money you save you could upgrade the fence...and buy some good rust remover.
Although a little of your stated $500 I am going to recommend the Grizzly 0444Z saw. It is about your best deal for the money, huge table, strong motor, and great fence. I am not very familiar with the Jet, but most of your lower-end contractor are essentially the same. Get the best you can afford.
Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I think I saw a Delta hybrid on this site for $700 with a Biese. My neighbor has a Craftsman similiar to above that he mentioned $100 for. He replaced it with a Rigid. Fence is biggest complaint.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The TS is an essential tool, I wouldn't go Craftsman. You key elements to look for are fence, motor and mass. Heavy is a good thing in a TS. If you need to stay under $500, I would second the Grizzly recommendation for new but I would also keep my eyes open for a used Delta Unisaw. It is not uncommon to see an older saw go for that price range. You may need to a do a little cleanup but you will be miles ahead of any contractor saw. I don't have experience with the Jet in question but the fence doesn't look too impressive.

wolfpackerwebb

New User
webb
Thanks for the help ya'll. Any feedback is beneficial. I'm using 1/2 of my 2 car garage as a workshop so room is important. I also am just getting started so I'm a little reluctant to spend a lot of money so early. In fact my first projects will consist of building mobile workstatations for my various tools. I built one last week with a guide and skill saw. Though it turned out OK for a work shop, I know I could do so much more with a table saw. Anyway I love the website and thanks again for your help.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you ever want to check out some tools first hand before buying, you are more than welcome to come by my shop and see what I work with..it's small and the tools are in the lower budget range.
Dave:)

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Steve D. is right in his suggestion about old tools.:eusa_clap
I have a 1958 Delta unisaw I bought at a school auction. It needed some minor motor work, but after that and a new bisemeyer fence, I love it! I had a grizzly cabinet saw, and was extremely frustrated with the fence. (They, grizzly fence, are much improved now). A lot of new woodworkers fall into two categories. You will get into it, really enjoy it and wish you had a more powerful saw. Or you will do it sparingly and be glad you did not spend a lot of money on equipment. The table saw is one of your key pieces of equipment. I would vote with Steve D. about finding a used cabinet saw. If you know where to look, they are fairly available.

Sully

New User
jay
Let me be the first to suggest the bt3100 from Home Depot. Depending on your local store you might be able to find it in the neighborhood of $200 right now. Plus there is a $30 rebate, in the form of a HD card, for >$150 Ryobi tools.

Okay, before you snicker at my suggestion let me just say it is one heck of a machine for the money. And you'd be hard priced to find another table saw in the <$500 price range that includes a sliding miter table. The factory fence is good and the rails can be configured in a variety of ways. The downside would be mass; it's not a cast iron top but then again you don't have to worry about rust. Alright that's my $10^-2.

And I should add that there is entire forum of very helpful wwers using that saw http://bt3central.com/. Of course the members here are also very helpful :)

DavidF

New User
David
I chose the DW746 as a good compromise between a cab saw and a contractoer saw - exactely as DW designed it - a great saw and upgradable in stages by adding the longer rail and/or the SMT.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Ridgid TS3650 and am very satisfied with it. If they are still on sale for $499, I think it would be a hard saw to beat right out of the box. (Normal price has been $549) 36" right rip capability, 12" left, cast iron table and extensions, tight accurate fence, about as much power as you can get at 120v (can be wired to 240v) , easily removed & replaced blade guard and splitter (so that its used, not set on a shelf) and comes with the Herc-U-Lift system that makes it easy to move around the shop. The drive belt is the ribbed automotive type so it is quiet and very little vibration (no advantage upgrading to "link-belt")
The stock blade is "Okay", but is thin kerf. A full kerf blade quiets it down more, although it s fairly quiet on it's own.
Ridgid is not strong on accessories, tho, and HD seldom stocks them, so be prepared to make your own ZCIs, etc.
It does dump some dust out the bottom (it has a 2" dust collector port) so if you want a "sawdust free" shop, you will need to do a bit of fabricating to catch all the dust.

HTH:lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would want to get the model number. Delta's contractor style has a pretty good fence on it, but some of the cheaper ones they made weren't that hot. If it is a contractor saw with the tube fence rail I would buy it for that price.

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
You might consider the Ryobi BTS3100. HD has them on sale for $249, if you can find them. There are two in our local store but its a hit and miss kind of thing. I really like mine, best bang for the buck IMHO. You can find out more about it at BT3Central, especially this article.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Another vote for the Ryobi 3100. It doesn't look like much but it does the job. And do check out the website (bt3central)

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS