buying first table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would jump on that one. Haven't heard any bad things about those saws, 'cept on woodnet, and that is generally from one guy who probably doesn't own one, considering his sig implies that everything Craftsman makes sucks...

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I to have the ts3650 it is a great saw, I am upgrading but for the only reason that I have the money and that I want a little more power. I am actually going to keep it and use it as a dedicated dado saw. Great saw for the money, It was put togeather in about 3 hours and ran like a champ, I replaced the blade and use the stock blade for mystery lumber in case It has nails or something like that. Hope this helps friend and have a blessed day.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Ok, Michael, I have seen the inside of your shop. Are you going to hang that big orange saw from the ceiling? Have you been studying Alan in little Washington's shop???? :lol: We will have to bust out that wall soon as you get back so that you can move and breath in there:lol:

wolfpackerwebb

New User
webb
Went to see the craftsman saw and it is in great condition. My only concerns or questions are these: The fence does not seem very strong. Would like to possiblly upgrade to the delta t2, is this possible? It also cuts 24" left and 25" right, could this be adjusted to 12" left and 36" to the right? Just curious. Just seems the Rigid at Home Depot which a 36" right cut is a better saw. Would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks!
:eusa_thin

jglord

New User
John
After looking at the pictures of the table saw, I wonder if you could attach the fence rails with more on the right of the blade. You probably can not shift the cast iron wings but shifting the rails to the right would allow you to add a larger table board on the right and get the increase in capacity you are looking for.

wolfpackerwebb

New User
webb
I've narrowed it down to these.
Please vote because I will be asking ya'll how to questions for months to come.

Ridgid TS3650 $499

Delta 36-675 w/ t2 $450

General 50-185 mi $550

Craftsman OR35505 $450

Thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated :icon_thum

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
All 4 are good saws I think. I can only speak for the Craftsman, I have had no problem with it and would buy it again.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I have to go with the Ridgid. It easy to move, the fence very sturdy, and the table very stable. I had a BT3000 before I got the Ridgid.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For your first saw, the Ridgid would be one good choice. It is what I upgraded to this year (Jan) after tolerating a lower-priced Craftsman I bought in 1982. I have no experience with the other saws you have listed (including the Craftsman). What I learned from the old saw was that I wanted a stable flat (cast-iron) top including extensions, A solid accurate fence, and a belt drive motor that wouldn't trip the overload reset every time I ripped a 2 x 4. The Ridgid has surpassed my expectations on accuracy, power, and ease of use and set-up, as well as finding out that the 36" right cut capability is really a treasure.
I will be glad to help with any set-up/operation questions if you buy one. If you want info on accessorizing it with a built-in router of outfeed table, I would advise checking out the Woodworking forum at http://www.ridgid.com/. Do a search for "TS3650" or "Table Saw" to see the wealth of info there. If you want "How-To" info on woodworking, there are many here that are much better qualified than I to address your questions.
My Vote:lol:

R

rickc

Like Stoneskipper - I also replaced my BT3000 with a Rigid TS3650. I have never regretted it one minute. It has not given me a bit of problem. Other than it comes in two boxes. One for the rails - and the other for everything else!! Make sure you have either hit the gym or get delivery help!!! :lol:

It went together with no problem, dead on fence and blade. The included Herculift base has proven invaluable to me. My shop is an enclosed half of a two car garage. The base makes it very easy to move and reposition for the material I am cutting. Until I get a full size shop where I could entertain a cabinet makers saw, this is the one in my opinion.

If you would like to actually see it, and get a feel for it, PM me and we can set up a time for you to come over and check it out.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Sorry to add to your list of choices, but have you looked at the Jet saw on sale at woodcraft for $399 this month? I have no experience with this particular saw, but I know Jet to have a pretty good reputation and, if I'm not mistaken, there are a few here who have this model. It seems like a durn good deal to me, but I'm hoping that others will chime in here...
web5852big.jpg
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5852

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS