Buffing motor rotation problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Okay,
here's my problem.I bought a 1/2 hp 1725 motor in anticipation of getting the beale buffing system.I picked that up over the weekend and got to setting up my motor and low and behold I turn it on and off the buff comes from the motor.ARGHHHH...I bought a clockwise rotating motor and needed a counterclockwise rotation motor.I did not realize that till I saw the info sheet with the buffing setup.
I guess my question is to anybody else who has a similar setup,buffing on a stand alone motor instead of on the lathe,how hard was it to find the CCW motor.If anybody has one could you post the part # and manufacturer.I'm back to 12 hour work days so it's kind of difficult to call around at 7 pm.
And if anybody needs a 1/2 hp motor with a 4 spot pulley let me know.
Thanx,Greg

Sully

New User
jay
I don't know anything about the buffing system you are referring to, but a couple of things to check:

1) Is the motor you have reversible? It would state so on the motor info plate.
2) Can you swap the orientation of the motor mount to get the desired direction of rotation?

Edit to add: I'm not sure if you are mounting the buffer directly to the motor shaft or if you are running an arbor from the motor. You mentioned a pulley on the motor, which is why I suggested option 2.

www.surpluscenter.com has lots of (CCW and reversible) motors available but you will pay a premium:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort....ord=MBAD&catname=electric&PAGELEN=20&PageNo=1

See if you can pick one up at a yardsale or on craigslist.

In addition you might come across a free (or cheap) electric treadmill. They typically have a 1-2HP DC motor that comes with an AC rectifier that gives you variable speed (and reversible).

J

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Jay,
yes I'm setting up buffing wheels on the motor shaft.I have the Beale adapter for a 1/2" shaft.I didn't even think to check the motor to see if it is reversible.I will check tomorrow.That would be easy.I'm trying to keep it compact so I will try to avoid a arbor/pulley setup if I can.I have a 3 phase motor and drive but it seemed to be a little overkill for what I was gonna use it for.
Thanx,Greg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Greg, I would be surprised if the motor isn't reversible: most are. Take the cover plate off and switch the black and white wires. This will usually do it.

There is even a way to rig the motor so it will run either forward or reverse w/ the flip of a switch. All you need is a dpdt, 120v, 15a, toggle switch. Might come in handy some time for a buffing operation. I have my lathe rigged this way. Works great for sanding.

Bill

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bill and Sully,
when I got over my rant and read your post I went down and opened up the motor and low and behold ,in the smallest print visible to the naked eye was the schematic for reversing the rotation.Rant over.Been working too much I think.
Thanx ,Greg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow, for once our free advice was actually worth something. :rotflm: Seriously, I'm glad the fix was a simple one and a lot less expensive than a new motor.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS