Breadboard application question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have planed a top for the walnut chest that is 5/8 inch which will have a breadboard attached to the outer edge. It was to be 3/4 inch thick but after a few curves I found myself with 5/8th. Now that the jointer is set up properly I could make the panel again if necessary. With 5/8th thick panel what combination would you guys suggest for application of the breadboard. The side board is cut to 2 1/2 inch. I considered a 5/8 th inch tongue for the panel and maybe 1/4 inch dado cut into the side panel. Is 1/4 inch strong enough. Don't be afraid to say make another panel at 3/4 inch thick. It is all in learning.:roll: Just wanted to know if this was a good application and if not I would make another panel. Thanks, you know I am still having fun. Lorraine

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Lorraine, how do you plan to pin the breadboard to your top? I think the thickness you are working with should work but IMO I would make your tongue a little wider.........maybe 3/4" to 7/8".

D L

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
DL, I could make the tongue 7/8th. I am looking at a tabletop by Norm that is 3/4 inch thick which was what mine was suppose to be. I don't know what the dado should be when I am working with 5/8th thickness. The breadboard is 2 1/2 inches. What would you suggest. Also Norm shows this being attached with 1/4 dowels that go all the way through and are sanded off. I have also seem this application where the dowels are put in on one side only. There is an elongated hole for the panel to expand. If I go through all the way with the dowel I can see it from both sides, either opened or closed, that would be ok. What are your thoughts. I will address this tomorrow morning.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Lorraine, I believe a good rule of thumb for 3/4" stock would be to work in 1/3s (1/4", 1/4", 1/4"). You are close to this with your 5/8" stock but you will have 3/16" left on either side of your 1/4" dado instead of 1/4". That should work fine.

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Lorraine, 1/4 should be fine for thickness. Make it fairly deep into the joining pieces to provide protection against people leaning on it or picking the whole piece up by it if it overhangs. Just choose a point that is going to be fixed in relation to the rest of the panel and glue a short part at that point. Either the front to keep the front aligned, the back or the middle so that changes in width of the panel are reflected front and back with respect to the bread board end.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dave, DL and I were discussing 3/4 or 7/8 tongue. I have 2 1/2 inches for the add on breadboard. Unless there is additional discussion I think I will go with one of those measurements. I will attach this with three dowels and I am going to carry them through the entire piece so they will show from both sides. Remember this is a top that will be seen from both sides whether it is opened or closed. I am looking close at the glue up. Let you know how it comes along tomorrow. Thanks again. Lorraine I will post a pic soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors