Boy! Was I wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
about the height of my workbench.

I built a work bench last year and after much perusal on the Internet, etc, decided to go with the recommendation of "the height of your wrist when hanging loosely at your side" (for me that came to 32") As some may know, I am on the quest to become reasonably competent on the use of hand tools, and the bench was built with the use of hand planes as a major consideration.

Having done a bit of planing over the subsequent months, one thing I noticed was that after a full day of pushing the planes, I frequently "felt it", particularly in my middle to upper back (between the shoulder blades). I attributed this to may age and lack of expertise in the usage of the planes.

I am now in the midst of making a table, and not only have I found the need to joint the rough boards for straight edges for milling, have also decided to make some clamping cauls out of some red oak for the top glue-up.

Faced with the dilemma that all other horizontal surfaces in my shop were full of boards, lumber, tools, etc, I found it necessary to use my workbench as an outfeed table for my TS, so stuck some 4 x 4's under the legs to raise it, after which I was working on the cauls. I spent a day getting the tapers right, but remarked to LOML that eve that "I must be getting used to this plane stuff, as my back doesn't hurt".

Edging the boards for glue-up this week (Tues) I duly resharpened my plane irons, lowered the bench, and commenced to start matching the edges (stack on edge and view for light in between as my TS blade lacks a bit for a 'glue line"). Again, the back discomfort, not to mention my efforts left something to be desired.

On a "why not" impulse, yesterday I put the bench back on the 4 x 4s. After matching all seven boards on both edges, No Back Pain!! and the results of my efforts were much improved.

Just thought I would pass this along, as I never thought that the height of the bench could be so significant in not only my control of the tool, but also my comfort.

Go

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Good news to know, thanks for sharing. I am glad you found the right combination. I admire you for striving to take on hand tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My hand tool usage would probably improve if I HAD a work bench. :rotflm:

Really hoping my home place will sell soon, we have found a great house with a huge shop. It was forclosed and needs a lot of things replaced but the structure is sound and nothing that I can't do myself.

If you pray, I could surely use a friendly word with the being in charge of the universe. :eusa_pray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
How tall are you Gofor? I built mine around 34" I believe, but I am 6' 5". I have done some planing, but not near as much as you. I have read that different bench heights for different things, but I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference. I guess it being to low has you hunching over too much.

If it came down to it, I could raise mine a couple of inches by adding some thicker blocking under the slab.

cpw

New User
Charles
My hand tool usage would probably improve if I HAD a work bench.

Really hoping my home place will sell soon, we have found a great house with a huge shop.

Mike, I'm right there with you. Being without a shop really stinks.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think that rule of thumb (or rather rule of wrist) regarding work bench height works for a lot of people, but it's just an approximation. Like your shoe size can be determined by the size of your fist.

When I built my workbench, I put the top on sawhorses while working on the frame. Oh, the joy of chopping mortises. I ended up putting some 2x4s under the slab to raise it up, and later added some plywood to get it to the ideal height. Basically, I got lucky. It's all about doing the right thing at a random time :)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I think that rule of thumb (or rather rule of wrist)

ha ha you have been watching Boondock Saints! Great movie by the way, but hey I'm Irish so how could I not like it.

How tall are you Bas? and what was the final height of your bench?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
My hand tool usage would probably improve if I HAD a work bench. :rotflm:

Really hoping my home place will sell soon, we have found a great house with a huge shop. It was forclosed and needs a lot of things replaced but the structure is sound and nothing that I can't do myself.

If you pray, I could surely use a friendly word with the being in charge of the universe. :eusa_pray

You know me, I am always up for gang tackling any project. :saw:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Adam Cherubini in Popular Woodworking said that the benches were low in the old days so that the jointers could get long strides while jointing long boards. I believe that they were low because people were smaller, the average soldier during the Civil War ( as far as from what I read at Gettysburg) was 5'5" and 125 lbs., so in the 1600 and 1700's I am sure they weren't even that tall.

That being said, it's still better to make your bench lower initially. You can always add blocks to make it taller, there's a whole lot of work involved in making a bench smaller. I personally like my side benches taller (36-38") for back relief, but I'm still not sure what height I will make my workbench:dontknow:. BTW I am 5'8" tall.

Mark thanks for the info on your experience.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

woodguy1975

New User
John
There are three zones in terms of height for woodworking. There is the power zone which is low, and the control zone which is high and somewhere lower in the control zone is where you need to be to have good control and not stress yourself. The reason why most benches are lower is for Jointing operations like Jimmy said. For pure hand work you want a bench more like 36-40 based on your 32" measurement. When I'm doing a lot of dovetail work or even router work I use my adjustable height assembly table and raise it up to the 40" range. Really makes a difference on control and your back.

I think Wood did an article about the working zones a couple years ago if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

John

Outa Square

New User
Al
well i currently don't have a shop or a workbench, so i use what ever i think will work for the task at the time. I have used the deck railing, the side fence, porch railing, whatever it takes to get the job done... I do have a low bench and a shaving horse. I just have to get creative with some clamps and [STRIKE]scrap wood[/STRIKE] well wood i haven't a designated purpose for yet. Sometimes i have to get my feet involved to hold the boards just right.... maybe i should write/illustrate a book... I'll call it the plana sutra(r):gar-La;

It just drives home the fact that i need a adjustable workbench and since i a man without a shop, i can say the world is my shop so I'll need to make it portable. maybe I'll work on that this weekend:widea:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I figured most benches were low because you are often working on things that are at least partially assembled and if the bottom of it is down where you can work on it best, the top may be out of reach. Planing boards is different from just about any other operation in terms of how low and in what direction you are trying to apply a lot of power. My "bench" is on the tall side, but I really don't do furnitue or other case work.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
John, Thank you for the info on work zones. I had not heard that before. I am 5' 8", and with the 4x4's, my bench height is close to the 36" you mention.

Part of my problem is that I am not as strong or limber as I once was. I think that it would have been less of a problem 10 years ago.

Maybe someone on here could develop a bench lift system . I'm thinking hydraulic rams with pneumatic foot switch. So Alan, how's the design coming?:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Go

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
How tall are you Bas? and what was the final height of your bench?
I'm 5'7, and the bench is 34 3/4" (should have been 34 1/2", but I added a mobile base later). That's a little higher than wrist height, but lower than standard counter top height. I find that it's slightly too low for some detail tasks, but when I sit on my shop stool it's perfect. For planing and sawing, it's great.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Boy after reading this thread I wonder why no one has come out with a working design for a truly adjustable bench. I would think plus or minus 12" would work for 99.8% of all people. Sounds like a money maker to me.

M

McRabbet

There is a plan for an adjustable height assembly bench in Shop Notes #30 that uses hollow sleeve components for the base legs and posts that fit into those "sockets" with 1" dowel pins every few inches for height adjustment. David Fenton (DavidF) built a scissor jack style assembly table that uses a single acme screw motor to raise and lower it. John Richards (Woodguy1975) has a very slick motorized Assembly Table that uses linear actuators to raise and lower it over several inches. Alan Schaffter (Alan in Little Washington) has a simple design that draws on Colonial candle stick designs that also works very well. And then you could plunk down big bucks for an Adjust-a-Bench.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
John, Thank you for the info on work zones. I had not heard that before. I am 5' 8", and with the 4x4's, my bench height is close to the 36" you mention.

Part of my problem is that I am not as strong or limber as I once was. I think that it would have been less of a problem 10 years ago.

Maybe someone on here could develop a bench lift system . I'm thinking hydraulic rams with pneumatic foot switch. So Alan, how's the design coming?:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Go

Speaking of Alan, here's his post about his assembly table, I've seen it in person and it's pretty neat and a whole lot stronger than you think it may be.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/assembly-table-done-w-pics-3063/

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Just curious as my working height is buckle level. Where does yours fall?

For carving, I like it at the navel if it's mallet work and a little higher if it is just using hand driven tools. For stock prep, I am with you - about buckle height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors