Box construction materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
When building an item like a gun case is it accessible to use materials like MDF or plywood for the inset that will be covered by velvet or for quality should this also be made of hard wood?

On one hand I can see that it's glued in, cover over, never to be seen.

On the other hand if you do that then why not use plywood cover in veneer instead of solid wood.

Thinking about it I guess if it's a commission job and the client wants to go as cheap as possible but still have the look of a finely made item I guess veneers and MDF are in order. As for an item for myself I'd want to know the item is solid wood.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Does MDF off gas like it used to? I would be careful about that in a confined space with fine steel. Check it out before you end up with some rusty junk.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
AW,

I would think that using a good quality plywood would be a plus since it would offer strength and stability at a reduced weight. Proper application of a veneer to both sides would take care of any appearance issues.

bobby g

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you're charging appropriately for your time and labor, putting veneer on plywood will probably end up costing as much, if not more, than using real wood in the first place. Just a thought.

Bill

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
Does MDF off gas like it used to? I would be careful about that in a confined space with fine steel. Check it out before you end up with some rusty junk.

That would suck! Someone should tell this guy. He'd making a case for two Civil War era pistols.

gun%20case.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Aqueous formaldehyde is corrosive to carbon steel but is not corrosive in the vapour phase.

So it seems that as long as there is some way for the vapor to escape it won't rust the steel.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
I'd really like to be able to build cases like this one.

I was just thinking about what kind of wood to use under that blue velvet. Since it's hidden any old ply would work. I guess it's more artisan to make it out of the same wood the case is.

gun%20case%20002.jpg

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Using MDF will be fine. I would suggest if your worried about it, seal it with a good vinyl sealer and you will definatly have no worries. R.K.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
Since this is a hobby artisan project for myself I want it to be high quality. So I'll use the same wood for the nesting tray as the box sides. It's hidden but I know it's there.

Reminds me of a belt I made for this guy one time. It had forest animals on it. I asked him what color stain he'd like on the leather. He said black. I said that if I stain it black then you wouldn't be able to see the animals. He said, "Yes but I know they are there, like animals in the night". LOL black it is.

So know the good wood is under there.

Actually maybe I'll use less velvet. Now that I think about it I wonder if people fill up the box with velvet to hide more of the cheap filler? Maybe I should do my boxes where you's see 80% of the wood on the inside and just have velvet where the wood would touch the metal.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Now, I like the idea of using less velvet to showcase the wood. I think that is the perfect solution!

Berta

"Actually maybe I'll use less velvet. Now that I think about it I wonder if people fill up the box with velvet to hide more of the cheap filler? Maybe I should do my boxes where you's see 80% of the wood on the inside and just have velvet where the wood would touch the metal. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS