Books with plans for Irish bagpipe making

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I want to mention two available books with plans and information for the making of Irish Uilleann bagpipes.

I have previously mentioned in another post Wilbert Garvin's "The Irish Bagpipes, their construction and maintenance" first published by the Blackstaff Press, 255A Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast BT4 3JF. I used this source, the only one available when I made my pipes in 1983, for making my half-set.

I especially want to mention Chapel Hill's own pipemaker Patrick Sky, whose 1st revised edition of his "A Manual For The Irish Uilleann Pipes" has a very good set of plans for building your own pipes, with complete info on how to make the reeds, set them up, and learn to play them. His sketches have more complete dimensions shown than Garvin; Garvin's plans are printed at 1/2 scale and must be measured from the printed page and scaled up; only the dimensions of sounding holes and bores are shown there. Garvin does show traditional turning profiles for some of the parts.

See Patrick Sky and Cathy Sky's webpage for further information.

!!! WARNING !!!

Bagpipe making and playing runs the risk of developing BPD (Bag Piper's Disease), almost as dangerous as WGD!

HTH,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors