Bookcase: Almost Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
P1010763.JPG

View image in gallery

Given the superb quality of work that has been shared on this forum, I am a bit hesitant to share mine. While I know I am not ready for prime time, I am relatively pleased with how this project is turning out. I hope to begin applying stain (Watco Danish Oil) and finish (Watco wipe on poly) this week. After I complete this project I want to begin building cabinets for my shop.

Cheers,
Donn

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Don. That is one snappy looking bookcase!:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_thum
The crown molding and fluting on the sides really add a classy look.

Judging by the height, it must have been a wee bit of a challenge during glueup.:elvis:

Don't forget to let us see it after the finish.

Very well done!

Wayne

T

toolferone

Given the superb quality of work that has been shared on this forum, I am a bit hesitant to share mine. While I know I am not ready for prime time, Cheers,
Donn

HOGWASH! That is a fantastic peice.
Please share the construction/wood details.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank all of you for your kind words, I am very appreciative! It is a rather large piece of furniture, the overall dimensions are approximately "89"x "43"x"13.75". It is made from cherry, and I followed the plans from Woodsmith (vol 16, no. 95). The unique thing about the design is that it is built as a "knock-down" system using bolts and nuts to secure the top and bottom assemblies to the side assemblies. Currently, my wife and I are "debating" the stain selection. My preference is to use Watco's cherry stain, but she wants something darker that would be more compatible with the other furniture in the room. In reality there is no debate...I am sure I will be using one of Watco's darker stains.

Again, thank you for your interest in this project.

Donn

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Cherry will get darker all by itself. If you can expose the piece to direct sunlight for a few days, that will accelerate the darkening. I have never been a fan of using stain on cherry pieces. It tends to cover up the natural grain patterns.

The last few cherry pieces that I have built have been finished with a good wipe down with BLO followed by several (5-10) coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish. If you have the time, take a piece of scrap cherry from the project, leave it out in direct sunlight for as long as you can, then wipe it down with some BLO. The direct sunlght will darken the piece some and BLO will make the grain 'pop'.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Donn, those up front apologies aren't going to work! There aren't many of us who have been hacking & whacking for years that would even attempt edge flutes; we chicken out for beveled edges! Very good detail on the top/bottom reveals too. Very good work.

ehpoole

Ethan
Two words: Well done!:icon_thum

Thanks for sharing -- and no need to denigrate your own work, you've built a wonderful bookcase.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
No need to hesitate Donn - beautiful work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. The flute work and beading are wonderful and I bet that cherry will look gorgeous.

I have to agree with MarkE on the finish - I prefer natural finish on cherry. Having said that, I certainly understand needing to match. I'll spare you the stories of trying to match trim work finishes to my LOML's specs - too long a story:BangHead:. Anyway, since it will darken with age, you might consider leaving it a shade light.

Regardess - beautiful work!

C.

Cato

New User
Bob
Great job on the bookcase, I mean really nice.

Bookcases are a fun build, but yours stands out with the detail work you did.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
A great, great piece. Love the beading carried full width.
Nice thing about the first project... it encourages you do do the next one!
Make sure to send pics after staining!

Bob

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
The bookcase is finally finished and is in place! I am very appreciative of the kind comments many of you made regarding this project; I am I also very please that I even had a visitor come by (thank you Joe!). Below are the pictures of the finished project. I used BLO, as well as a couple of coats of Watco Danish Oil Stain, followed by 5 coats of wipe on poly. I am happy with the result and my wife is happy...in my world that is tantamount to a grand slam.

Cheers,
Donn

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=52040&ppuser=4419

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=52041&ppuser=4419
moz-screenshot.png

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful job, You're happy,and the Wife's happy. They call that a Trifecta!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS