Book: Hide Glue, Historical & Practical Applications, Stephen A. Shepherd

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, I've been dying to write this review! I did want to do the honorable thing by finishing the book first, but it was hard to keep off the keyboard.

This book gets my newly created and highly coveted "Must Have" recommendation.

This book covers the history and use of Hide Glue (both liquid and hot). It includes so much wonderful practical information, is a lot more than a reference book.

I will say that you come away with a much greater understanding of how glues of all sorts work. Also, you get a deeper understanding of some of the science and empirical behaviors of glues.

There are sections, as you'd expect, on how to use, heat, waterproof, cleanup and test hide glues. This book is the first I've seen to completely cover the topic. When someone can tell you what to do, then what not to do and throw in "if this happened, then you likely had this problem", they really know their stuff (IMHO).

What extends this books usefulness is how he goes into how to glue various projects. This includes clamping strategies, joinery, repair and veneer.

He also answers some of the differences in wood surfaces (sanded vs planed vs scraped) and how that can affect adhesion. Not to mention case hardened and machined surfaces.

You can find a lot more about Stephen Shepherd at his blog, which is a treasure trove of information: http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/

This post has some of the notable links to some other reviews, if I haven't convinced you yet :)
http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=361

My one slight criticism is the book is not so easily leafed through. He tends to write in one or two paragraphs of golden content. So, my advise, bookmark or fold over pages that jump out at you while you read it. I've since done so, and now find the book even more useful.

Thanks,
Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Got my name in for the pre-order :)

Promises to be a great addition to the Schwarz Shrine in my book case.

Bob, for as many innocent flat earthers you've turned to the Dark Side, I'm going to make this my mission. There is no where you can Hide. Glue.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS