Black Walnut - TCD quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Can we assume that kiln dried walnut would be safe?

The article indicated kiln dried is safe.

I was surprised regarding the woodshop news article that had Berkshire products stating how much West coast walnut they ship in log form to their facility.

I have been guilty of buying logs from California in the past but do not/ cannot import them any more.

If this thing hits here, kiss walnut goodbye.

BTW I can only think this will drive up walnut pricing in the near future as the ban spreads to contain thousand eye.

Dragon

New User
David
Sounds like some ugly stuff. Guess I'd better get to my tree cutting asap since it involves several Walnut trees. Kyle..........PM sent.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I thought this is important info everyone could sink their mortise chisels into.

I sure would hate to see walnut go the way of chestnut or American elm. Walnut is pretty much the wood for furniture making.

Please pass the word around, this is one of those things that the more who know the better.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I finally heard the info on the local radio news channel in eastern NC.Quarantines ought to be posted on TV,news papers and radio.Tony

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I know you don't care to mill the wood because of your reaction to it, but it is one of my favorites. I have still yet to hear this on any local news or in the papers. As I have a lot of young walnut trees (under 20 year, as Fran seemed to have wiped out the bigger ones close by) on mine and adjacent properties, I will be keeping a look-out. There are also a couple of big ancient ones on the roads within a mile or so. We do not need this to spread!!

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What I find most interesting about this problem is that the Walnut Twig Beetle is native to the US. Most of these types of pest epidemics are the result of introduced pests from other countries. The beetle was identified as far back as 1928, but it has only been since the '90s that it has started causing the TCD. What has changed to allow the relationship with this beetle and the canker-producing fungal pathogens? Nature is an interesting thing.

Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
What I find most interesting about this problem is that the Walnut Twig Beetle is native to the US. Most of these types of pest epidemics are the result of introduced pests from other countries. The beetle was identified as far back as 1928, but it has only been since the '90s that it has started causing the TCD. What has changed to allow the relationship with this beetle and the canker-producing fungal pathogens? Nature is an interesting thing.

Dave:)

Without getting into the hot political questions, it is pretty much accepted that we are undergoing some climate change in recent years so the biosphere in North America is definitely changing for both friendly critters and pathogenic ones. :confused_

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I spoke to Bartlett guy today, and he said its a fungus that is killing the trees not the twig beetle. The fungus piggybacks on the beetle infecting the tree. What will happen is that Walnut prices may drop initially due to a glut of walnut then go through the roof like chestnut unless they find a way to inoculate Walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors