Black Walnut Slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
I am trying to find the impossible it seems.

I am looking for large bw slabs to build a table out of (like a dining room table). The final dimensions are to be 40"-48" wide X 8.5' long X 3" thick. I want the top to be made out of no more than 2 slabs...same with the uprights (slab legs).

I have found a few folks out west that want to sell to me, but I would rather find it in NC if possible. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rod

MarkW

New User
Mark
The last time I was at Kyle's he definately had what you are hunting for and if I remember correctly, his came from California too! It was certainly some beautiful wood.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Hey Rod,

I don't have anything that is 8.5' long and 3" thick that is 48" wide from 1 or 2 slabs.

the kicker here is 3" thick and DRY. You will pay a significant premium for material that is dry and 22-24" wide.

I do have some walnut logs that are 24" wide and 12 feet long. I may also have some shorter slabs in the 2" range 46" wide an around 6 feet that are pretty close to dry.

Let me know if you would like any of this.

kyle

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I wonder how much a plank that size that would weigh? That is around 100 BF of wood. I sure would not want to have to move that around by myself to tool it ...

Went to woodweb to find out - with a 10% moisture content and 12/4 x 102" by 48" it works out to 319 lbs! That's 150# more than I weigh and about 270# more than I would ever want to work with on any given day.

Last edited:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
JUST an FYI..My slabs run 8-12/bf depending upon figure..

2-22" x 2" x 12' slabs will cost 9-10/bf and totals 88 bf. Drying would be about a $1/bf extra. These slabs would run about 880+tax including the kiln drying.

If you compare to Hearne.. Its a pretty sweet deal.

Scott and I are working on a deal to where the Eastern part of the state could get some of this fantastic stuff if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS