Big mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
was working on a cherry Hope Chest, same one I've messed with now for some time.

The top is 3/4 stock, about 18x36 or so.

The top is comprised of two pieces, the rear section, that fastens to the carcass is about 3" wide, and the wider piece of the top is hinged to it.

The edges of the top have a hand-cut 45 degree(roughly) bevel all around. It was cut "by eye" with a low-angle plane, so it's not "router-bit" perfect, which is exactly what I wanted.

Problem is, when I trimmed the wide part of the top to length, then cut the bevel, I failed to notice that I had, on one end, cut THRU two biscuits that join the boards together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Now, on one end, theres two little sections of #20 biscuits showing thru the end grain.
The original intent was to leave the end grain below the bevel untouched.
Now, I've got to either:
-Install a narrow trim piece on each end, "breadboard edge, kinda deal.
-Rely on a bit of stain on the end of the biscuits to blend sufficiently as to make t"less than obvious".
-Cut and install two little bits of biscuits in the same location on the other end.

Trimming the top further is not an option.

Likely, the trim piece will get the nod, but I'm none too happy about this.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Tom,

If I am reading this correctly, the biscuits are in the flat part of the end and not the bevel. If this is the case, can you rout a shallow dado in the end and install an accent strip on both ends to cover the biscuits? You could use cherry or another wood and no one would be the wiser.

James

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
can you rout a shallow dado in the end

That would be tough, because the exposed end grain is only about 1/2 inch, because of the material removed to cut the bevel.

Basicly, I'm thinking a couple pieces of cherry trim screwed into the endgrain with the screw holes in the trim relieved a bit for expansion.

Helps to remember I'm a hack, mostly.......:wink_smil

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if I understand corectly it is end grain you are working on. If thats the case you could cut a slot removing the offending biscut and make an end grain plug from the same material. If you select a closely matching piece and are carfull you wont see the repair. you could use the BJ to cut the slot and trace out a biscut on scrap to make the plug fit the slot.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Scary to think that Fred and I think alike, but...

Drill out the biscuits, make a couple pieces whittled to fit and drive em into the end grain. Like Fred said if you choose the pieces to match the grain you'll never see it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Scary to think that Fred and I think alike, but...

Drill out the biscuits, make a couple pieces whittled to fit and drive em into the end grain. Like Fred said if you choose the pieces to match the grain you'll never see it.

scary indeed! :rotflm:

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
The plug is a possibility I had not considered, and I appreciate the input.

It's worth noting, perhaps, that the amount of biscuit showing is only about 3/8" or so, I "nipped" the biscuits near the end, not straight thru the middle.

I don't have a camara to post a pic, but, truth be told, they are not overly obvious even as they sit now. I've not abandoned the "let it be" idea completely, either. I'm no master craftsman(obvious, huh?) and mistakes happen. It would tale a pretty discerning casual observer to note the two biscuits and compare them to the right end to see that they were not visible on that end.

If I can convince my daughter(the intended recipient) to put it in a corner with the left end near the wall, I'll be long dead and gone before anybody might notice! :rolleyes:

All "art-tiests" make mistakes ya know?

njdelaware.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS