Big Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
:wsmile:Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum stuff and hope I am doing it right.
I am retired from the NC Community College system after 17 years as an instructor and I am enjoying the retirement time.
I have been woodworking for about 2 1/2 years. I work at home in my 20x22' garage which is not very popular with my wife except that what I make is what she has asked me to make for our very small craft business. I have to share the space with my 4x8' trailer that we use to haul all of our show equipment and products. Our property owners association will not let us keep the trailer outside on the driveway, these people are too up tight about some things.
I make small things but a lot of them. We sell a step stool that is very popular it is 11"wX8"hX8"d, it's small but we sell about 15 to 25 at each craft show we do, and we do about 12 to 18 shows a year. I also make small chairs and other simple wood products that are painted and then my wife paints designs on all of the different products. My wife also paints glass Christmas ornaments. I try and use the best wood I can, I use clear or better Southern Yellow pine. I am having trouble finding the wood right now. Does anyone have a source for SYP that I could check out? I might consider using poplar as long as the price is right and the wood is flat and straight. I use 1x8 and 1x10 sizes. I would love to stock up on some wood but I don't have room to store much.
:icon_scraAlso, I am thinking about buying the DeWalt TrackSaw so it will be easier to cut up the sheet goods that I use, does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase and how much to pay for this saw?
I look forward to hearing from you all, and thanks in advance.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Al and welcome
Get ready to hear it and I may be the first - we like pictures...
Glad to have you with us. Jump in and make yourself part of the friendliest wood working place in the internet.
I am a big fan of the NC Community College system. What did you instruct? Its a great resource for anyone in our state!
The resources and people here are second to none I know of.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome Al!!

It's great to see another Piedmont resident join our ranks.

Got any pics of your wares?

Looking forward to seeing you around!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome Al - glad to have you with us - I guess you know by now - we love to see those pics

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the friendliest dust pile around -- glad you found us and hope you'll enjoy the place. Check out our wood suppliers under the "Woodworking in NC" tab on the top menu bar and maybe you'll find a good source of wood there.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group Al. We're happy to have you with us! :icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

bwat

New User
Bill
Welcome! If you ever get to the North side of Clt, give me a call. We have a great wood source in Mooresville who is very supportive of NCWW. Check out www.themouldingsource.com.

Don't forget those pic postings!?!:gar-Bi

edsmach1

New User
Ed
Welcome big Al, don't feel so new, I just joined this forum a couple of days ago, I too used to work out of the garage, until I convinced my wife to let me build a shop,
welcome aboard sir

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
We travel from Sylva in the west to Manteo in the east. We also go to Myrtle Beach and Charleston in SC. Last year it was 4300 miles. We do get in some vacation time in some of the places we go. It's fun and we get out of the house for a while. most of the trips pay for themselves.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
I have posted some of the work my wife and I do, you can see that most of the work is my wife's painting, she has a great talent.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
I was an instructor in the Automotive Technology division. Taught mostly Toyota courses, specialized in A/C and Brake systems.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Al, I am glad that you could join us. Your craftsmanship looks excellent, and your wife's painting is outstanding -

DSCN0069.JPG

I am really happy to see your work, I am the more handsome part of a woodworking husband and painting wife team. I am not a big fan of painting wood, but if it's pine that's is the best finish for it.
Do you have the capabilities to handle rough sawn stock. If so SYP should be very inexpensive in that form.

I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing some more of your work and wife's painting.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Howdy, Al, and Welcome! Sounds like you are enjoying retirement as much as I am.

My woodworking partner and I build outdoor furniture; gliders, swings, Adirondacks, rockers, plant stands, etc. We use cypress lumber exclusively for the very reason you mentioned. It's clear and almost knot free.

Couple of sawyers on here can supply you. I buy from Ivey (he's a member) down near Burgaw. I also have a solar kiln and have about 800 bf of 5/4 and 4/4 that is 12-15% MC. If you'd like to try some, I'm not that far from you.

Enjoy the site!

:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS