Best Glue for making a Cutting Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runk

New User
Runk
I need to make a cutting board for my daughter in Washington State. What is the best glue for making the cutting board? I will be making it from hard maple with some decorative walnut strips.

Thanks.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I made six end grain cutting boards for family members about 8 years ago and used Titebond III Ultimate wood glue. They all continue to hold together and perform well.

When I gave them the boards I did specifically tell them to oil regularly with mineral oil and "No Dishwahers"!

Wayne

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I can't say what the best is. But I made a few boards as gifts for xmas 2013. I used plain old yellow wood glue. Ours is still perfect with daily use. I finished it using the "soak with hot mineral oil / beeswax combo" method. We don't put them in the dishwasher and I instructed the other recipients against doing that as well. I've heard no complaints from them, but I don't know how much they are used or what conditions they live in.

Hopefully boardsmith will chime in.

Len

New User
Len
Another Titebond user here. For pretty much the same reasons already mentioned.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
TBIII here as well. I only use TBII and TBI on occasion. I have use the TB with the slow setup before when doing complicated glue ups and it seems to work well for that application. I would not recommend Elmer's Woodglue. I have had it delaminate on me twice. Also no hide glue where there can be heat (unless there is some heat resistant kinds I am not aware of).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS