Beech Weather Resistance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
How does european beech do in the weather?

Why do I ask? Well, my uncle has a large sail boat and wants to build some shelving for it this week (at my shop). Nothing fancy, but something that will stand up to life at sea. I don't think it would "exposed" outside to the weather, but rather in the cabin.

Why beech? That's what I have the most of. I wanted to Cypress from Reggie, but just can't find the time to drive over there. Now I'm lookin' in my stash.

timf67

New User
Tim
My understanding is that white oak holds up fairly well (much better than red oak) to exposure especially if you put a decent finish on it. You should be able to round up some white oak, if not I have some...:gar-Bi

nelsone

New User
Ed
I don't think Beech will do very well, unless it is well varnished. Since it is not exposed it may hold up ok.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Beech has no resistance to decay, I was amazed when I looked it up. I mean even poplar has a very slight resistance to decay.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'd stay away from the beech. QSWO or FSWO would be a great choice.

Tim, if you sell Jeremy some of yours, I can replace it any time. You ought to see the 20" QSWO boards that are currently in the kiln!

Scott

timf67

New User
Tim
Don't tempt me! Besides, I finally found some 8/4 yellow birch (thanks to Carolina Lumber Sourcing!) so my wood pile is full...:wink_smil

I'd stay away from the beech. QSWO or FSWO would be a great choice.

Tim, if you sell Jeremy some of yours, I can replace it any time. You ought to see the 20" QSWO boards that are currently in the kiln!

Scott

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
Just a though: if weight is an issue because of it being a sailboat, you might consider Paulownia. It is light in weight and extremely stable in damp conditions. It is also decay resistant. The wood is so stable that you can cut it and use it within a month.

Remember, if you use kiln dried wood it will pick up moisture and swell some.

timf67

New User
Tim
Just a though: if weight is an issue because of it being a sailboat, you might consider Paulownia. It is light in weight and extremely stable in damp conditions. It is also decay resistant. The wood is so stable that you can cut it and use it within a month.

Remember, if you use kiln dried wood it will pick up moisture and swell some.

To barbara's point about KD wood, I have some live oak that has been air drying for about 10 months in my outdoor shed. Not as nice as Scott's QSWO, but I bought 100 BF for $40 so the price was right!

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
As said already, beech has virtually no resistance to decay. However, it will last as long as any other wood as long as it is protected from constant exposure to the elements and not used below the waterline or where it would be constantly wet.

For boat furniture, it will be fine if adequately coated with a good interior marine finish. Don't use any big box polyurethane products. Even slight exposure to UV will quickly damage the finish and it will fail.

Bottom line, the beech is not going to fall apart in your lifetime used as shelving and properly finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors