Bedside table project - completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Re: Bedside table project - starting the finish!

After taking John's Finishing Class II, I stopped at Northern Tools in Hickory and plopped down $119 and change for the three gun set made by Vaper that he recommended -- it has all stainless steel cups and key nozzle parts and covers the orifices one needs for all types of HVLP spraying (1.0, 1.4 and 1.8 mm). Gravity feed cups in SS, too. No review yet -- still new in the box.

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Monty that's really starting to come together now. The dye looks great. You've got a great eye for color and as always, your attention to detail is evident throughout both pieces.

Those mistakes are pretty minor according to my usual standards!

Chuck

woodguy1975

New User
John

Thanks. C'mon John, you KNOW I wouldn't pass up an opportunity (excuse) to pick up another tool! :lol: I got the detail HVLP conversion gun from Northern to do this, and it worked great.

Travis, I used alcohol base (DNA), with TransTint dye (medium brown and honey amber) in a 2:1 ratio, added by drops and tested to get the right darkness.

Hmmmm, wonder where you learned that process. Hehehehehehehehehe.

At least you almost paid attention to that part of the class. :rolf::rolf::rolf:

woodguy1975

New User
John

After taking John's Finishing Class II, I stopped at Northern Tools in Hickory and plopped down $119 and change for the three gun set made by Vaper that he recommended -- it has all stainless steel cups and key nozzle parts and covers the orifices one needs for all types of HVLP spraying (1.0, 1.4 and 1.8 mm). Gravity feed cups in SS, too. No review yet -- still new in the box.

Rob

That was still a very good price, but the last time I saw them I know they were on sale for at least $89.99. I was wondering if you picked them up. I love that little detail gun for dye.

woodguy1975

New User
John

It looks extremely good to me. What color and type of dye did you use? You use water or alocohol? What ratio? Being I am doing some cherry myself at the moment, I am quite interested.

BTW, you can add little water to alcohol dye stain to slow down the drying to where you can brush or wipe it on. Just a little more shair of information.

:lol::lol::lol:

DavidF

New User
David

Great job on the colour matching Monty!!! well done.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Bedside table project

After the dye dried and I was happy with the color match, I applied a liberal dose of BLO and let it cure for a week. Over the past three days, I've been applying a wipe-on varnish mix. Here's how it looks so far:

IMG_5618.jpg

For the finish I mixed equal parts BLO, spar varnish, and mineral spirits, applying a coat every 24 hrs. As I progress I'm adding more spar varnish/MS to the mix. I still have several coats to go before I have enough build on the top, but I'm getting there.... Then I'll steel wool/wax and be done.

A couple of things to mention - I was surprised at how much the oil darkened the cherry. It's hard to tell in this pic, but the tables are already significantly darker than the cherry vise cover on the end of the work bench. I also didn't expect the cherry to look as "blotchy" as this with the oil (you can see it most prominently in the drawer front of the left table and the side of the right table). I think this will even up with time - any comments? How do you prevent this from happening with cherry? Or can it be prevented?

Now I have to figure out what kind of hardware to use.

M

McRabbet

Despite the minor blotchiness, they still look very nice, Monty -- good work!

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I see what you mean about the blotchiness. Curious, do you think they well even out as they are exposed to sunlight? I would think they would personally, but just my thoughts.

Must say, nice work Monty! If you decide you don't want them I will take them.:lol:

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Monty, I have found that the "blotchiness" from the oil finish disappears completely as the wood "matures" and gains its characteristic patina. You'll never even notice it.

Chuck

Monty

New User
Monty

That's all very reassuring. I thought that would be the case. The whole purpose for the dying process was to try to even out the color differences for initial appearances. I figured all the colors would pretty well settle to the characteristic cherry color over time, but I wanted to at least make it look a little more even initially. I have no idea if you can tell ahead of time if the board you're using will get blotchy with the oil. I suppose over time it doesn't really matter anyway...

Monty

New User
Monty
I never posted any "completed" pics of this project, so I figured I'd take a couple. The finish took several days to apply, and then I let it sit for a few more days before buffing it out with 0000 steel wool and applying paste wax. I turned a couple of simple knobs out of cherry to complete the drawers. I figure if I don't like the knobs, I can always make some more... ;)

Click the thumbnails...

Thanks again for all the encouragement. It was definitely a learning process.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Finished it is! Congrats on a really fine looking piece. And whoever picked the lamp did well too. The bronze adds a nice "warmth" to the wood:icon_thum
Glad you're done, but we'll miss the WIP reports. :crybaby2:

What's next?
Roger'

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great job Monty, the finish has a wonderful warmth to it, and I like the understated elegance of the turned knob, it doesn't detract from the figure of the drawer front but rather compliments it.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors