Bandsaw Upgrade! Riser Block Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This post is a little late, in relation to when I did it, but it's a GLOAT at any measure!

My Grizzly bandsaw underwent a neck-lift with the riser block upgrade ... adding 6" cutting capacity! :eusa_danc

The bad ... when I first installed it, I also put on a new blade. Not being that familiar with bandsaw setup, I turned it on with only a few adjustments and more/less ruined the blade as it got jammed up in the bearings! That's life though ... no hard feelings! :roll:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Good looking saw! I need to upgrade my HF Special one of these days. How do you like the saw?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Good looking saw! I need to upgrade my HF Special one of these days. How do you like the saw?

I've got to think it's the best bang for the buck. Offers a lot of features at a reasonable price.

Though I'd like to have a larger saw, this is a good saw for most things I do now.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
More info. please. I've got the same saw and have been capacity challenged too many times. Was the riser easy to add? How is the saw's power with the added capacity? Are you able to get enough blade tension?

Dave:)

4yanks

New User
Willie
I added a riser block to my Jet saw a few years ago. I also went through some trials while getting it lined up. I also switched to the Itura spring and Carter tension release mechanism at that time. It has no problem tensioning.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
More info. please. I've got the same saw and have been capacity challenged too many times. Was the riser easy to add? How is the saw's power with the added capacity? Are you able to get enough blade tension?

Very easy to install.

Power - No different, in my opinion. Not the strongest of bandsaws, but adequate for most cuts (though it's not liking a resaw effort on 10" wide Ash).

Tension - what tension? Heck, I don't know about that yet :saw:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Power - No different, in my opinion. Not the strongest of bandsaws, but adequate for most cuts (though it's not liking a resaw effort on 10" wide Ash).

:saw:

I was wondering about that when I saw your other thread. I wonder if Ash is a hard wood to resaw, or if more than 6" is too much for the saw in general :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, I'm self-admittedly not as familar with the bandsaw as I probably should be. I'm thinking it's "user fault" ... but I'm a one-man-show and learning on my own as I go ... who knows?

jglord

New User
John
I wonder about the blade you're using for re-sawing. I've seen a bunch of folks amazed by how much a good blade helps ease cutting.

Most folks recommend a very low tooth count - e.g. 2 - 3 TPI and the widest blade you saw will handle. Before you condemn the saw for being underpowered, check to ensure the blade and saw setup are right. Then if your saw still has trouble, maybe you do need more power.;-)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The proper blade is key. I would think a 1/2 inch 3TPI "timberwolf-style" silicon steel band would serve you well. I have bought these from Suffolk and Woodcraft Bands. Just take your time feeding. The si-steel will not last a long time resawing very hard stock. Suffolk recommends a flutter-test for band tensioning but I just tension by feel, appx 1/4 inch deflection with moderate force from the side using two fingers.

You need to practice with scrap...a LOT. To be honest, if you can apply the tension to even a 1/2 blade and the fence is set to compensate for any blade drift you should get a good cut if you don't push too hard.

As I mentioned in your other thread, you can always cut a kerf top and bottom on the TS to minimize the amount of wood removed by the BS if you simply want to split the wood and clean up with the planer.

Chuck

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for the great feedback.

Like I posted in the other thread, I definately do not have the right blade. I am using one with too many teeth and not very wide.

Live & learn ...

I'll try another blade one of these days (next trip to Woodcraft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors