Bandsaw Tire Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Finally got to use my brand new Delta bandsaw today. After following the assembly instructions to the letter I started it up and it ran great, for about two minutes. A slapping sound behind the top wheel access door and I found the tire had come off the wheel while the blade was still centered on the wheel.

After several times of putting the tire back into the recess on the wheel, the best it will do is about ten seconds and the tire comes off, the blade still centered pretty as you please when I open the access door.

A call to Delta and I'm told it's a defective tire and they're sending another right away. I'm not so sure. Can you think of why the tire would leave the wheel but not carry the blade with it?

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sounds like the tire is very loose. I had the heat mine in boiling water and really stretch it to get it on the rim. It never budged after that and as far as I know the next two owners didn't have a problem with it.

When you say slip it back on? Is it pretty easy to slip it on the rim? If so then it is far too loose and is most likely being slung out from under the blade.

Edit:

I was not trying to put words in your mouth. I re=read your post and you said put the tire back on. I mis-remembered and thought you said slipped it on. Sorry for that.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Mike's right.
It should take 2 men and a boy to pop a BS tire on, even if it's been in boiling water :gar-La;

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mike's right.
It should take 2 men and a boy to pop a bandsaw tire on, even if it's been in boiling water :gar-La;
With the urethane ones it only takes a boy. I know as I have put several on by myself. I'm trying to remember if stock tire was SUPPOSED to be glued on. Urethane ones are stretched over the rim. The reason the blade didn't come off is the wheels have flanges on each side. Blade won't stretch enough to go over the rim, but rubber will. The rubber literally "walked" out from under the blade.

TedAS

New User
Ted
The 14" Delta I recently purchased came with a "free" vibration that I didn't order and didn't want:BangHead:

It was narrowed down to a bad tire. Delta had new tires on my door step in no time. The urethane tires required no heat to install and no glue. It was an easy job.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Contact whoever sold it to you. Tires coming off is an indication that the tires are bad. They should stay on all by themselves.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
The 14" Delta I recently purchased came with a "free" vibration that I didn't order and didn't want:BangHead:

It was narrowed down to a bad tire. Delta had new tires on my door step in no time. The urethane tires required no heat to install and no glue. It was an easy job.

Mine too but it was lower wheel out of balance and a cheap drive belt with a flat spot. On and the table was warped too...

Seems the quality on these is not so great. Customer service was excellent however; I got all the new parts in quickly and with ZERO hassle.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jim
Glad Delta is trying to make it right. A pain and worse yet to have to wait on parts.
My Delta came with a top tire that was loose as well. Sounds like a pattern, doesn't it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
(edit)I found the tire had come off the wheel while the blade was still centered on the wheel.

With the Asian-made band saws, this is rather common in my world. I got called for this very problem yesterday. The band stayed on the wheel, but the orange plastic "tire" came off. I see this a lot with the newer plastic tires.

I'll be putting neoprene rubber back on and that'll be the end of it. I've another set of bandsaw wheels to re-tire also. Those are rubber tires on a 1950's Yates J-120 20" bandsaw that's been in use since new and never had its tension relieved during times when the saw wasn't in use. Its hard to argue with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS