Bandsaw tension -fixed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
A while ago I asked for some help fixing a stuck tension nut on my 14" delta bandsaw: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/tension-nut-1950s-delta-14-bandsaw-33078/

Thanks for all the comments I received. I worked the blade off the wheel using the tracking adjustment as recommended.

Unfortunately the nut was stuck up in the body of the tension bracket so I could not split it off.

Bruce (junquecol) had offered a replacement quick adjustment thread/knob. I took him up on his offer and met him at his house last night. We (Bruce) ended up having to hacksaw off the knob to get the bolt/nut free of the housing. After that he replaced my old bolt with his quick adjustment knob:

69CG7250.JPG

The new one works great. The crank is higher which keeps from busting your knuckles. The handle also makes it easier to count the number of revolutions. This is nice if you de-tension your blade after use. It makes it easier to get it back to the proper tension.

I also took Bruce's advice and put a strip of UHMW PE under the bolt. This makes it turn much easier and avoids grinding into the cast iron.

So the moral of the story is to add a little grease (Bruce used white lithium) to this square nut to keep everything moving smoothly. It is also great to have NCWW friends!

Thanks again Bruce!!!!
Salem
View image in gallery

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good work!
Just the latest example of why this site is my first choice.
People that you can relate to, share information with, and actually get together
with.

Just think that for the price of shipping, plus hourly rates, being without your saw for days, etc, you could have sent that off somewhere and gotten practically the same result :widea:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Glad you're back up and running, Salem. And yes, the people on this site are amazing. Not only knowledgeable, but always willing to help. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS