Bandsaw scroll blade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdanj

New User
G Dan
I have a Delta 14" bandsaw for a few months and used it to do some pretty tight scroll work... 1/8" - 3/16" radius or less, using a 1/8" Vermont American blade. Finally, when broke, I went to my local Lowes store by buy a replacment and found that Bosch branded blades have replaced Vermont American... same specs, similar packaging. However, I have been unable to get the same performance, i.e., I have to fight to get tight radius cuts and can't get less than 1/4" radius. Although 1/4" radius is what the package's specs state, I know I've done much tighter cuts with the Vermont American branded blade.

Lowes and Bosch tell me there is no difference in the blades. Any ideas on how I can get a tighter radius cuts?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
G Dan I can't speak for the Bosch blades. Have you rounded off the back of the blade with a grinding stone? This may help it navagate turns smoother. My best source for anything related to bandsaw blade selection advice is John at Woodcraft Bands outside of Boone in Vilas on 421. He's an encyclopedia of anything to do with them and can weld up blades on the spot if you have a special request. He also has the best prices you'll find on good quality blades- especially the Bimetals. I'm sure if you call him, he'll know exactly what blade will do what you want.
http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm

gdanj

New User
G Dan
Thanks for the reply Tarhead. I'll try grinding the blade's backside. Woodcraft's website looks promising... thanks for the tips. This is my first day as a NCWW member and very glad to have joined already:wsmile:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS