Bandsaw mess after cutting green wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I have been cutting a Maple tree now for three weeks and finally got around to cleaning my Rikon bandsaw up. What a mess compared to dry wood. The table was easy with mineral spirits and paste wax but the rubber tires and blade was another story. I use it to cut the blanks as round as possible as I have a light shopsmith that does like out of round wood.

1. Do most people have a separate blade for cutting wet wood. I also build furniture and need to get a project out soon so this started the cleanup.
2. I just scraped the tires to remove the build up but didn't know if anyone uses anything on the tires.
3. Ball bearing rollers also had a build up.
4. I uses a 1" 3 tpi blade also which seems to work well. I learned on another blade not to cut round logs.

Thanks again.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Keith,
Not sure if your Rikon has a brass tire brush, but that in combination with a dust collector connected directly to the lower wheel housing (bypassing the top connection) does a good job on the green wood I've sawed. I have had a mess with some Bradford Pear when I didn't run the dust collector and the wet sawdust completely packed the lower wheel housing. Took mineral spirits and a 3M scrub pad to get the gunk off the tire. Learned my lesson on that one.

RayH

New User
Ray
I don't know what it meant, but I saw a blade at Klingspor's labeled "for GREEN WOOD." Maybe the set or pitch of the teeth???:icon_scra

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Green wood typically cuts easier than dried wood, thus you can use a more aggressive blade / band on it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
So heat and bend a tooth brush. Cheap and easy.

34-350toothbrush.jpg

atlas912.jpg

141dcf.jpg

The toothbrush will only go so far. This saw has side rollers which act as wet sawdust embossers for the blade. I hate them for that, but that's what I've got for now. I would much prefer hardened steel blocks but this saw doesn't lend itself well to such like the older Delta 20" saws.

PM81-4.jpg

aturn2.jpg

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
When I am cutting a lot of REAL wet wood,I spray the blade with W-D 40,helps keep the rust down and the wood don't seem to stick as bad. I also use a 3/8 X 3TPI a 3/8 blade cuts better on rounding blanks,as it doen't put as much strain on the mach.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I have the horse hair brush on my Rikon. The dust collector sounds like it may be part of my problem. I'm not always good about using it every time I cut on the BS. I ordered a smaller 3/8 green wood blade with the raker tooth. The wd40 is a good idea I'll have to try it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS