Assembling blanks and tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmccarter

New User
chester
I have been using Gorilla glue for my wood blanks and have been pretty lucky. But am now starting to use acrylics... what do you guys use to glue the tubes in? Thick CA, epoxy< or what?

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
I use T-88 epoxy. It takes to long to set so I turn them a few times to make sure the tube is centered in the hole. Also, if the blank is too translucent I will color the tube with a permanent marker in the color of the blank. Works well.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have a real good success using Titebond Medium CA glue. (I just make sure that I rough up the brass tubes with sandpaper before I glue in the tubes.):icon_thum

Wayne

navy1990

New User
Matt
I use a thick CA glue and it has worked better for me than the two-part epoxy I started with. You just have to find what works for you and stick with it. For me, it's thick CA glue.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I've had good success with thick CA on the wood blanks. I don't use Gorilla glue due to its expansion process during the cure time for blanks. I've started using 5 minute epoxy for acrylics as I don't need to wait as long for the cure time. Plus I've developed a reaction I call CA Glue Flu from the fumes the stuff produces. Epoxy doesn't affect me.
Pick one and stick with it. Either should work fine. I let the CA set overnight.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I use 5 minute epoxy for wood and acrylics. I get a little wiggle time if needed.
Gorilla glue and I don't seem to get along. I've had tubes push out a half inch with it.
CA, I know people that swear by it as much as I swear at it. I've had tubes hang up not quite in, and on painted tubes for clear acrylics, the ca can have issues with the paint.
I'll save my ca for finishing wood pens.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I'm in the CA camp . I use med for the tubes ( after roughing ) and a little dab of thin w/accelerator on the ends before and after milling to help negate splintering :icon_thum

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I just started a few mo's ago and pretty much use gorilla glue on everything.A buddy of mine has been turning pens for a few yrs now and thats all he uses,but he told me that when he glues in the sleeve he then puts thin CA on the ends to help prevent tearout and chipping there,I do that now and it does help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors