Asheville area - new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToolNut

New User
Damon
Hello.

Been meaning to join you all for a while, but life keeps getting in the way.

My profession is in the non-profit world, but woodworking keeps me sane. I have a small shop (half garage attached to the house) with way too many tools for the space and a random collection of wood waiting for time and inspiration. Just finishing up a book case that made use of some 5/4 oak veneer plywood scraps that I got from my dad. Have almost finished building a router table. Made a hobby horse for my daughter last Christmas from a pattern that has been in the family for a while, and a few other little projects here and there. The only truly 'fine woodworking' project that I have completed is a shaker hall table that I did as part of a class at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking (great school by the way).

Moved to Asheville area in late 2009 for a job - but have lots of family here and family land high on the mountain. My cousin just bought a bandsaw mill, so am hoping to harvest, saw and dry some wood for upcoming projects.

Most of my tools were purchased used, and I have done a lot of tool restoration to make it affordable. I spend too much time in Asheville Hardware for my own good - but there are worse habits I guess.

I'd consider myself to be an 'advanced amateur ' - I've studied/read about more woodworking techniques than I have ever used, and tend to get pressed for time and loose the attention for detail and TLC that are required for high end projects. As a father of two, quick and dirty seems to have taken over my life (The Kreg pocket hole set is my friend!).

I'm especially drawn to Shaker designs and would also like to try my hand at some green wood chair making and some more advanced turning.

Looking forward to getting some more permissions to see/use the resources on this site and connect with other folks in the state. And planning to join the WNC Woodworkers Association as well.

Thanks!

Damon

DSC_2647.jpg

DSC_7860.jpg spalted maple live edge from Avl Hardware being measured by the boss. Live edge half is now a picture-window sill - the rest will be resawn for other window trim

DSC_2650.jpg Over the lathe...

DSC_1820.jpg Over the workbench (has only been this organized once... for about 5 minutes)

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Welcome Damon from a former Ashevillian. I too still have family in the area. NCWW is a great place for inspiration. I hope you enjoy the forum. You have already mastered the most important task of posting pictures. We really like pictures. Post often.

Steve H.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome Damon, we are glad you found us and joined in. There are many super folks here, so feel free to join in any conversation and ask away.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome Damon. Sounds like you and I have a couple of things in common: Buying used tools and making them work, and a like of Shaker style.

I'm not sure what other "permissions" you're referring to, but you've already got the most important one: access to a GREAT bunch of folks who will do anything they can to help a fellow woodworker (or anyone else, for that matter). So jump right in and enjoy yourself.

Bill

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welome to our site, Damon.

Post often and stay safe around all those sharp tools.

Wayne

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Welcome Damon from a fellow Asheville Woodworker. I admit that I have been absent from this site and the WNC Woodworkers for some months, but recommend both highly. Hope to meet you soon (Maybe at the WNCW fall outing this weekend. If I don't make it I'm working on 4 Scott Morrison bar stools for the new Kitchen bar (called the Aircraft Carrier) that has been the reason for my absences. It sits in a newly remolded Den/Kitchen/Screened Porch area.

PurpleThumb AKA Jerry Grant

ToolNut

New User
Damon
Thanks all - been enjoying the ideas and conversations here for sure and I appreciate the warm welcome.

Jerry I will look for you at some future meeting. I am sending off my WNCWA membership dues tomorrow, so not sure if I will attend the event this weekend - they say its "for members and their families only, except by special invitation" - so I may be a bit of a newbie for that one.
Can others download library items, by the way? I can now see the library, but it says I dont have permission to download. Maybe that comes with time..

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Welcome to the crowd.Lots of good info here for the searching.About everything has been talked about a couple times.Good looking horse.Your tool bench is pristine,I can't even find mine anymore.
Tony

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Thanks all - been enjoying the ideas and conversations here for sure and I appreciate the warm welcome.

Jerry I will look for you at some future meeting. I am sending off my WNCWA membership dues tomorrow, so not sure if I will attend the event this weekend - they say its "for members and their families only, except by special invitation" - so I may be a bit of a newbie for that one.

Damon,

Consider yourself "invited" to the Western NC Woodworkers Association Annual BBQ and Silent Auction this Saturday -- please contact me ASAP via an email and I can give you all of the details details about the event. I am the President of WNCWA (and past President here), so consider it a valid invite! And plan to include your family, too.

I'm hoping that Jerry will make it as well -- we haven't seen him in a while, but he's welcome to come too.

My email is rrpayne at bellsouth dot net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors