As Promised--WIP on $12k, oops, uh, $4k Entertainment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonewood

New User
Alan
Them there commission threads remined me I said I would post progress pics. Here be the first batch. It will be constructed on cherry, with walnut plugs and accents, as well as figured bookmatched panels of cherry and lyptus. Five pieces--48Wx26Dx90H for the main case; the first two side cabinets will be 20x20x84; second two will be 16x16x78.
So steps down and steps back.

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Main cabinet will be on 3.5x3.5 legs 4" with a single inside taper; have not decided if I will add a thin underskirt thingy between them.

I think the doors will be nice when finished; right now just one coat of BLO on the panels.

IMG_3395.jpg

Dadgum--kinda tall8-O

IMG_3370.jpg

Lyptus panels with BLO. The panels in the base cab will be covered with the side units, so they are just plywood.

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

Inside and back.

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

This pic shows the face frame for the upper doors, which will reflect the lower ones. The space above will be filled by a hunk of highly figured cherry and will be the base for the cherry/walnut dentil molding and the modified crown.

IMG_3400.jpg

This pic is just a gratuitous gloat--paid $1 per BOARD for this cherry, much of which is QS and flecked:-D

IMG_3403.jpg

Part of the formula for working with no AC in Florida--work for 30 minutes while suit is drying, don suit, leap in pool, out again, repeat as necessary:lol:

Comments certainly encouraged and welcome.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Alan.......looking good.:icon_thum Where did you find that dynamite deal on the cherry?

D L

bonewood

New User
Alan
Had to travel all of 30 miles. A master carpenter has been collecting wood and related goods for 35 years and is moving to West VA next year. I am going to sell his wood and stuff for him, so expect to hear about it when we get all the stuff cataloged.

Examples:

7 year air dried cherry, 6-19" wide, dead flat;
river-recovered old-growth heart LL pine and cypress;
3-4" thick huge hard maple slabs, laminated and ready to become benches;
curly pine, must see to appreciate;
wormy chestnut;
QS oak;
wide red cedar;
26 foot barn beams and siding;
40-50 rings per inch heart pine;
hickory;
too much to tell now.

When I bought the cherry, he hand picked it and discarded boards not perfectly to his liking, sold me those at $1. Am getting 50-90% excellent cherry out of each. One man's trash, I guess:eusa_danc

bonewood

New User
Alan
D L Ames said:
Looking good Alan.......looking good.:icon_thum Where did you find that dynamite deal on the cherry?

D L

Forgot to add--he has 12,000 board feet of ribbon cherry and the non-ribbon cherry from the same trees equals about 10,000 board feet. All very well cut 5/4 stock drying for a year so far. That will also be offered.

In fact, if anyone has a need for a strange or normal wood or doo-dad, let me know--he very well may have whatever it is.

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice work! Thanks for the update. But, you better be careful around those power tools if you keep taking your bathing suit off like that! :oops:

dozer

Mike
I would be a little bit leery about workinging the nude. My neighbors might call the cops like they did last time . :lol:

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Nice work and beautiful wood. We won't get into the attire (or lack thereof)...

DavidF

New User
David
Those are the nicest door panels I've seen in a long time, great job on matching them up. That's going to one imposing piece!

J

jeff...

dozer said:
I would be a little bit leery about workinging the nude. My neighbors might call the cops like they did last time . :lol:

Yep know what you mean, my neighbors have been scared for life :lol:

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
That is some fine craftsmanship. How long have you been woodworking. Did you have a pattern, or make it from a picture. Either way looks great.

Never sharpen lawnmower blades on bench grinder...in the nude. Neighbors a mile away will hear you.

bonewood

New User
Alan
FIVEBYFIVE said:
That is some fine craftsmanship. How long have you been woodworking. Did you have a pattern, or make it from a picture. Either way looks great.

Finished my first hardwood piece in 1989.

I've got about 20 pics of centers hanging in the shop, but none of them is the model...I may get an idea for one component from one, another from another, etc.

All of my stuff since 1993 have been out of my pointed haid, with just a few visual cues needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonewood

New User
Alan
New pics follow.

Main base:

IMG_3467.jpg

Laig:

IMG_3468.jpg

Upper main:

IMG_3469.jpg

Under the dentil molding: