Arts & Crafts Mission Bed completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
For those who can remember my post from middle of last year, I tackled the popular Arts & Crafts Mission Bed from Wood Magazine. Well I finished it up right at the end of the year and am just finally getting around to posting pictures in my gallery. You can see my various photos here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1096

This was my first significant project and it was a challenging project but fun. As other advised me going into the project, the amount of time spent sanding was significant.

PS How come no one ever let me know that a project isn't "finished" until it's in the house in it's new location? According to the LOML (who assisted me greatly on this project), a project isn't complete when it's still in the shop even if the finish is dry. Where were you guys on that one?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap Looks GREAT!! Just don't let the LOML see it! She already has the next couple of years planned out for me, not that that's a bad thing though cause I love shop time! As far as it being done, when I built our crib, it wasn't done until the mattress and bedding were all installed so atleast all you had to do was get it into the bedroom ;-)

This picture really shows it off! NICE WORK!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think a bed in the middle of your driveway is as done as it can get...you got to have the natural light for photography :roll:
Completed08.JPG

Beautiful bed, even without the mattress and all the other crap clouding the woodworking.
What did you use for the rail hardware??

Dave

DavidF

New User
David
That sure is a nice looking piece of work, I assume all the spindles are stub tenoned into the top and bottom rails? Loads of work, very well executed. You must be very proud of it.

Nativespec

New User
David
Looks great. I spent quite a bit of time sanding mine. Is yours cherry? The legs are beefy, I used a lock miter to build mine to avoid driving to pick up bigger stock. The only problem with mine is all the squeeking-at some times quite loud-ha!. If I had to do it again, I would use felt (or some kind of plastic) on the rail ends around the hardware.

It is quite a project and challanging indeed as you know.

David

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Great job! There sure are a lot of spindles. Thanks for sharing.

tv

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Shayne, that is a fine project. I'm a fan of the style and it looks like your craftsmanship is A+ :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

lcottrell

New User
Lance
That is a really nicely completed project. You must be proud. :eusa_clap

Making a bed is one of the things that I aspire to do one of these days once I get more experience under my belt.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
Thanks for all the compliments. It is made completely from cherry, mostly wild cherry. The plan called for 2"x2" posts made from glued up stock. They offered two suggestions to glue up, the first choice was cut 4 pieces all with 45 degree edges and then glue them up. I had made post box bank just before this and I 45'd all the edges and I wasn't thrilled with how it looked. So I made the executive decision to purchase a 12/4 piece of cherry so that I didn't have to glue anything up and made the posts 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". It was an 8ft long piece and about 6" wide when I started and very very heavy, but in the end I think it was the right decision. Turns out it was the only piece of lumber I had to buy since just over a year ago I scored a large haul of wild cherry. Even though this board cost be $100, it was "technically" the only lumber I bought for this project :)

The spindles were not stubbed, the plan called for a creative solution here. They had you take a wider piece and cut dadoes every 3/4". Then you rip that into strips and place them into a dado in the header/footer. This leaves you with 3/4" x 3/4" "mortises" to receive the spindles. I thought this might look weird, but it's not an area of the piece you really look at so it was a good short cut. I did decide to glue each spindle in the place, as I was worried about rattling. This definitely made the glue up a challenge. I did M/T all the other pieces which was also a challenge due to their size.

As for the hardware, I bought the bed rail fasteners at Woodcraft and then I just bought 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" iron angle at Lowes to hold the wood stretchers for the mattress. I spray painted and clear coated the iron after pre-drilling counter sunk holes. I must say that besides applying the finish on projects, applying hardware is my most worrisome step. In this case, I initially purchased some screws from Lowes and then read on this forum about what others use. I ended up buying some stainless screws from McFeelys. I predrilled and used 2 1/2" screws into the endgrain of the rails. I of course manged to break one screw head off, so I had to fill the hole with a much shorter screw. My only compliant in the end was that the screw heads were ever so slightly larger than normal (which McFeelys advertised) and thus didn't completely fit in the counter sunk holes in the hardware. So when you put the two fasteners together, they aren't flush :(

As for the finish, I decided to go with just clear Watco wipe on poly. I was going to stain, but the lumber I used had amazing color, grain and other interesting features as you can see here:

and here:

There were also red streaks/spots in places (I evidently didn't take any photos of those), so I was afraid those would be lost/covered with anything besides a clear coat.

Since I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to this hobby, it took me 5-6 months to complete. I roughly spent ~100 hours of actual time working on this though. I have plans for the matching end tables and dresser, however those are on the back burner for now as I have found other ideas to keep me busy. Luckily this bed is for an guest bedroom so there is no pressure to make the rest of the pieces.... yet.

mcoston2

New User
michael
Way to go!!!!!! Nice mission style bed. You have got to be proud.
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

J

jeff...

wow really nice craftsmanship - I think it might be a little cold sleeping out there in the driveway though, guess it all depends on what your used too :eusa_thin

JohnW

New User
John
Shayne...Very nice work. You sure picked a work intensive project for the first "real" project. Man...this shows you have a talent for woodworking. Thanks for all the pics showing build stages.

John W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS