Anyone ever heard of this course at NCSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
North Carolina State University's College of Natural Resources offers a variety of masters and doctoral programs through its Department of Wood & Paper Science.
According to the program's Web site, students' coursework can included classes on such specific topics as wood-moisture relations and lumber drying, paper physics, and wood tool design, performance, and wear.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Doug, I have not heard of that course, but do know that Professor Joe Denig at NC State is an internationally recognized expert on drying lumber (primarily conventional kilns). I took a kiln drying class from him a few years back.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

I don't know much about the curriculum at State, but I do have some friends there. They have their own (very active) chapter of Habitat for Humanity and I work with them frequently. One of them even works in university's woodworking center. I'd be happy to contact them if you'd like.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Sounds like a logical career change, for people who want to go from:

Pushing paper to making it, instead!

Interesting post!

wonder if you can take courses without the intent of attaining degree?

Matt

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sounds like a logical career change, for people who want to go from:

Pushing paper to making it, instead!

Interesting post!

wonder if you can take courses without the intent of attaining degree?

Matt

Matt,

You might be able to audit a course, with permission of the registrar and department. Full tuition would apply and no credit or grade would be given

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Was it not a group of NCSU students featured in one of the wood magazines a while back where they build a 250Hp Wood Car? Probably this curricul..., uh, course. The wood/paper/pulp school at NCSU is pretty extensive.

Woolfpack class of '88

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I think I will contact the school. Since our organization is about promoting woodworking in NC, there may be opportunities to achieve these goal.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I worked for Georgia-Pacific for 36 years and we hired quite a few of these graduates primarily in our OSB and particle board plants.
James

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I think I will contact the school. Since our organization is about promoting woodworking in NC, there may be opportunities to achieve these goal.

NCSU has a degree program and also the craft center.

http://www.ncsu.edu/crafts/index.html

George Thomas
Director
919-513-3677 or 919.515.2457
[EMAIL="george_thomas@ncsu.edu"]george_thomas@ncsu.edu[/EMAIL]

Doug: Sounds like your onto something good! Im sure you will inform when ready!

Scott: Nice post ! Thanks for that info!

M

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Well I just got off the phone with Mr. Thomas and learned a lot!. I will try to put together a synopsis tongith/tomoorw with links to their website. There are a lot of possibilities here. They have a new multimillion dllar facility and members of the public can use it. They have courses that look very cool and are reasonably priced.

Mr. Thomas was enthusiastic about us arranging a group tour of the facility, and I would like to get that organized.

Doug

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Well I just got off the phone with Mr. Thomas and learned a lot!. I will try to put together a synopsis tongith/tomoorw with links to their website. There are a lot of possibilities here. They have a new multimillion dllar facility and members of the public can use it. They have courses that look very cool and are reasonably priced.

Mr. Thomas was enthusiastic about us arranging a group tour of the facility, and I would like to get that organized.

Doug

Doug,

:icon_thum:icon_thumWay to go! Cant wait to see you write-up. I would be interested in attending tour!

M

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Doug and all,

The Crafts Center at NC State is wonderful and George is the man to know. I took the intro to woodworking class with George there as well as the introduction to woodturning with Bill Wallace. The renovation is amazing and is worth a tour. The center offers a wide variety of classes with something for everyone (pottery, photography, etc). Also, the Woodturners Guild of North Carolina meets there.

Ray, does your connection at work at the Hodges Wood Products Lab? I use to work in Wood Products Extension.

FYI, the Splinter car was made by Industrial Design students.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The NCSU craft center is having a major event in February. I will post an announcment in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS