Any pen-turning ROOKIES here? Christmas time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
I went through my morbidly obese stash of pen blanks the other day and weeded out some I just know I don't have time to use. I probably have around 100 or so blanks, mostly stuff like walnut, hickory, and curly maple. Nothing that is gonna raise the dead or anything. Would make nice gift pens.

But I do need to get rid of it and I'd like to bless someone new to penturning (ie, you've turned less than a few dozen pens), particularly if you are brand new to woodworking and have limited resources.

I live on Seminary campus in Wake Forest. If you are interested, shoot me an email at redfishsc@hotmail.com. First come first serve. If you are a student at the Seminary, be sure to shoot me an email.

EXPECT A DELAY IN RESPONSE since I currenly don't have net access at home, and I only get to the forum once or twice a week.

Thanks,

Matt

J

jeff...

I went through my morbidly obese stash of pen blanks the other day and weeded out some I just know I don't have time to use. I probably have around 100 or so blanks, mostly stuff like walnut, hickory, and curly maple. Nothing that is gonna raise the dead or anything. Would make nice gift pens.

But I do need to get rid of it and I'd like to bless someone new to penturning (ie, you've turned less than a few dozen pens), particularly if you are brand new to woodworking and have limited resources.

I live on Seminary campus in Wake Forest. If you are interested, shoot me an email at redfishsc@hotmail.com. First come first serve. If you are a student at the Seminary, be sure to shoot me an email.

EXPECT A DELAY IN RESPONSE since I currenly don't have net access at home, and I only get to the forum once or twice a week.

Thanks,

Matt

I am a pen-turning rookie, so much so I don't even own a lathe and only turned one pen in my entire life, well kinda, I had to have Nick finish it for me. Do I quailify for the free-pen-blank-athon?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Matt, that is very kind of you. It's good to see you around here again. How's life in WF treating you?

Dave:)

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Dave, Wake Forest is great. Two problems, however, compared to Charleston SC.

1) No ocean (which means no beach, no surf fishing, no shell collecting...bummer).

2) No Lake Marion or Lake Moultrie. Those lakes are about an hour out of Cha'son and have some of the best fishing in the southeast. I cannot recall a time in my entire life I ever caught that many fish, thinking of a few trips to those lakes where we basically filled the boat with catfish. Unreal. Surreal.

Jeff, if you are a convenient drive from Wake Forest, I can spare some blanks for ya. I'll even recommend a good lathe NOT to buy-- Delta. Get the Jet or Rikon if you buy one locally--- or order the Penn State lathe, it's a good one too. I have a Delta and hate it.

J

jeff...

Redfish, sounds like some nice blanks - could I ask you to please fill an $8.10 flatrate box (they have them at the post office) with an assortment of pen blanks and mail to:

KMI
P.O. Box 899
Wilmington, NC 28402
Attn: Jeff

Send me a your Pay Pal email address in a PM and I'll send you $20.00 via pay pal to cover shipping and your trouble.

Thanks

frankson

New User
Jeff
Matt,

I work with a Wilmington based program, Kids Making It (KMI) and our kids are very much into pen turning. In fact Dave and Jeff have both provided wood stock and pen blanks to our program. At this time, we have about 30-40 blanks on hand but, will no doubt need more in a few weeks....if you have any left mid-March, I'd appreciate your keeping us in mind.

thanks,

Jeff (Frankson)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Jeff,

I currently have 2 five gallon buckets full of beautiful black walnut blanks. Actually, jeff... gave the the stock I cut them from. I love these blanks, but I have way more then I'll turn in years now. I'll also send some along next week.

J

jeff...

Matt,

I work with a Wilmington based program, Kids Making It (KMI) and our kids are very much into pen turning. In fact Dave and Jeff have both provided wood stock and pen blanks to our program. At this time, we have about 30-40 blanks on hand but, will no doubt need more in a few weeks....if you have any left mid-March, I'd appreciate your keeping us in mind.

thanks,

Jeff (Frankson)

Jeff, looks like you'll have more blanks coming soon, Clay for sure will stock you up on Black Walnut. I bet the kids really like pen making, it seems very rewarding. If I ever get down to Wilmington, I'd like to try and stop in and say hey.

Thanks

frankson

New User
Jeff
Clay
Jeff

Thank you both. Clay, as always, we love having you visit. If time permits, maybe we could arrange a "master class" for our kids?

Jeff

P.S. Yes, the kids love making pens...we delivered an order of 10 pens and maple boxes, engraved withcity logo, to our Mayor, Bill Saffo, recently (note: to be presented to members of a Japanese delegation in March).

Bill loved the pens and followed-up with a personalized letter to each of our three pen-makers - now that's a mayor who gives back to the community. We started every class that day by reading the letter....resulted in 3 smiling young men and inspiration for many others.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Jeff,

Sounds like KMI is still doing some great work with the kids in Wilmington. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I bet the letter from the Mayor was a nice moral booster.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Matt,
Great to hear from you again, especially for such a generous offer :icon_thum
I visited the KMI folks a couple of weeks ago and got to check out their "penmanship". They are doing a great job and the eagerness on the kids faces is a joy to witness. Watching one of the guys contemplate what could be done with the laminated blank in his hands was absolutely uplifting :mrgreen: Anyone donating blanks or whatever to KMI program can be sure their gifts will be fully utilized. And kudos to Jeff (frankson) and the other volunteers who put in many hours a week to provide an opportunity for at-risk kids to develop skills and self-confidence. :eusa_clap

Roger

J

jeff...

Clay
Jeff

Thank you both. Clay, as always, we love having you visit. If time permits, maybe we could arrange a "master class" for our kids?

Jeff

P.S. Yes, the kids love making pens...we delivered an order of 10 pens and maple boxes, engraved withcity logo, to our Mayor, Bill Saffo, recently (note: to be presented to members of a Japanese delegation in March).

Bill loved the pens and followed-up with a personalized letter to each of our three pen-makers - now that's a mayor who gives back to the community. We started every class that day by reading the letter....resulted in 3 smiling young men and inspiration for many others.

Jeff, when I lived in the the frozen trundra of Northern IL and was attending college, I worked as a psychiatic technician for a place called The Mill, it's for At-Risk Youth (Teens). My hats off to you, you got a pretty cool gig building self esteem and teaching young men how to make right choices in life.

THE MILL

Thanks

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
The blanks have been spoken for, all, I should have expected a lot of responses, lol.

Frankson, I will be sending you an email.

Thanks all!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS