Another honeydo project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
My wife has been after me to make her a hutch so she could display more of her "stuff" so in between trying to make a buck and such, I made this for her. It incorporates traditional joinery and is made entirely of old pine with the exception of the beadboard back which I made out of some of the douglas fir I won in the WN contest. I am getting really low on decent old pine so I had to use one board that I didn't want to use ( middle shelf) because as you can see, it has a bit of bow to it. Oh well, maybe if she loads it down enough, it will straighten out. :lol: :lol:

The finish is my old standby: burnt umber stain, vinyl sealer, pre-cat lacquer. I couldn't even get a pic of it quick enough before she filled it up with "stuff":lol: :lol: :lol: Her requirements were "make it as rustic as possible". Well, I draw the line on some things so I just left a few of the old nail holes and worm tracks visible. The two outside drawers are real but the center is just a faux one. I resawed the three fronts out of the same board and tried to orient the grain pattern so it made some sense. Working with old wood makes it hard to get really good grain matching but as long as she is estatic about it, life is good. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

MIke

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Mike, that really looks great. I am always amazed at the finish you acheive on Pine. Are the shelves adjustable? Is the back ship-lapped or T&G?
Beautiful work, that must have earned you a few brownie points with the Mrs. :icon_thum

Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dave,

The back is ship lapped with a bead adjacent to the lip on each piece except the last one.
As for the finish, some folks like to use a sealer prior to staining pine but I find that to be a pita and don't bother. Some of the boards required that I put the stain on and imediately if not sooner wipe it off otherwise it gets too dark (soft sections). If I were making a museum piece I might have to do it differently but this method doesn't look too bad.

Mike

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Beautiful hutch Mike. Nice use of old wood. If your LOML is happy you have a masterpiece.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Mike, you pulled that off pretty quick. You must have worked some overtime.

Looks great. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
I hope you find more "old pine", because you sure know how to maximize it's beauty. I love it :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS