Another great day in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
First thing I did was learn that you need a cross cut sled to make one.

Please note the results of stupidity.
disitagain.jpg

You can see the metal shavings all over the table top. Just in case you can't see the damage:

diditagaindetail.jpg

Just so I couldn't rest on my laurels there is this.

more.jpg

And again, if it is too hard to see the damage:

moredetail.jpg

And the results of all those issues:

milling.jpg

A bit hard to see but there are 2 boards there. The one in the rear is 4/4 rough. The one in front is the thickness, it ended up at. it was supposed to end up at 3/4" . NOT

Looks like I could use some practise at ripping too

:BangHead: :BangHead: :saw: :BangHead: :BangHead: :saw: :eyeslam:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Actually, it wasn't that bad a day. The milled board was badly cupped AND twisted. I feel pretty good that I got a 40" length that was flat and still a bit over 1/2" thick:eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Plus my cross cut sled is about 1/2 done:eusa_danc

T

toolferone

If I had a .05 for every person I heard cut there miter fence I would be rich. Welcome to that club.:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
If I had a .05 for every person I heard cut there miter fence I would be rich. Welcome to that club.:)
Don't you remember that I did this once before and cut amlost all the way through verticaly. In effect cutting the the fence in half.:rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
When ya take a step back and look at what you have done, you have to ask yourself, what was I thinking???? I bolted a 2x4 to my factory miter gauge.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ummm... those shavings are refered to as shiney sawdust.:-D from non ferrous wood.:roll: mix em up with tight bond and fill the defected area and sand to taste!:rolf: whenever i have a brain fart like that i usually keep my mouth shut till someone notices.:eusa_whis

fred p

cpowell

New User
Chuck
My favorite miter fence modification is the one where I extend the fence for an angled cut, return to zero and promptly cut off the end of the fence. I prefer to start with a long fence on my gauge. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The only thing I can say is at least you didn't cut yourself. Although sad to see what you did, it is much better than having an injury.

Fortunately, I have not joined the club where you make a zero clearance miter gauge yet. Knocking on wood 3 times to be safe.

Now that I said that, I will probably do it tomorrow.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
It is unfortunate that most user manuals fail to mention the need for the user to make a miter gage alignment kerf. Good to see that you intuitively arrived at the need to make it for future use! :roll:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It is unfortunate that most user manuals fail to mention the need for the user to make a miter gage alignment kerf. Good to see that you intuitively arrived at the need to make it for future use! :roll:

I have "alignment" kerfs on lot of TS attachments and jigs

SSuther

New User
Stan
OK. All those who've never done something like this raise your hands..............Uh huh, no hands. That's what I thought. ;-)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Oh boy, is this another contest????
I feel competitive in this arena :mrgreen:

I refuse to supply pics :eusa_naug But those who have visited my shop usually comment on the evenly space divots on my tablesaw CI top :BangHead: The saw provided a perfect workbench for drilling shelf pin holes. Regretfully the drill depth stop collar slipped more and more with each hole :cool:

A worthy competitor Steve,
Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I guess it's a good thing that I'm too cheap/poor to buy one of those metal fences. If I did, I would have a short one for each side of the blade. My son did use my GOOD circular saw to cut a kerf in wing of my old table saw. After my episode of cutting one of those tag staples in end of a piece of lumber with a Forrest WWII, that cost me over $50 to have dental work repaired, I guess you were lucky to not be using a Forrest blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors