Another First

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I mostly just browse here and get ideas on things I'd like to do.

I admit that I often feel intimidated and way out of my league when I see some of your creations.

But, we all have to start somewhere.

The wood for this was some scrap firewood that was given to me.

Cherry (I believe) and walnut. Finish is just a rub down with beeswax.

Mistakes were made. Lessons were learned.

KIMG3120.JPG
KIMG3117.JPG
KIMG3119.JPG

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you for sharing your project. I would like to encourage you and anyone to share their adventure. That is how we gain knowledge and confidence. I hope you had fun doing this box.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
The wood was given to me as rounds. Just pieces of logs. The cherry was small enough that I could cut it using the table saw and a sawzall. The walnut I had to make the first cut with the chainsaw.

I cut it on the table saw and left it to acclimate for a couple of weeks. It was already down to under 20% mc when I first cut it.

I ended with a finished thickness of 1/2" except for the bottom which is 3/4. The bottom was routed to accept the carcass and glued.

I built a jig for the table saw to make the slots for the splines. The splines are also walnut.

Mistakes made
- first time using a router table. The bottom doesn't fit tight as it should.

- my miters were good but I didn't have it clamped properly and they ended up being off

- I need to pay better attention to small details. My splines are not uniform thickness.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Tim….nice job! Take a step back and look at what you were able to craft out of some logs that most people would throw on a fire. It’s all about the journey my friend. Keep it up!

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
You're going to hate it in a few years, but it looks good to me right now
Matt's right, but this is one of the joys of woodworking--getting better at your craft. Next box you make, I suggest two upgrades:
  1. Put in an additional set of splines, i.e. 2 splines per corner. It will look better and be more stable in regards to wood movement throughout the seasons. You will solve the spline thickness problem by making a spline cutting jig (a simple project that can be used forever), and making your cuts on the table saw. Now every spline slot is 1/8" wide, and you just trim/sand the splines to a tight fit.
  2. Recess the hinge blades into the lid and carcass so just the barrel is exposed. You can find hinges with <1/2" long blades easily. The hinges on this tabletop box look like overkill to me in regards to strength needed.
In a few years look back on this and even though your first reaction may be to hate it, smile and be proud of the progress you made in your woodworking skills.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Frankly Tim,
I would be VERY happy with that box. (you should be proud of it)
Remember you can see the things you are not happy with, but the form is good the miters are good and the dimensional relationship (length to width to height) is good!

As Richard and Wiley mention, as you progress, you look back and see your progress.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.

I did add two more splines to each corner so now there are 3, more or less equally spaced. That does make it look a bit better.

Tomorrow I'll sand to 320 and reapply the wax.

Today I cut and glued some of the scrap walnut with some red oak I salvaged from a pallet to make some coasters.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.

I did add two more splines to each corner so now there are 3, more or less equally spaced. That does make it look a bit better.

Tomorrow I'll sand to 320 and reapply the wax.

Today I cut and glued some of the scrap walnut with some red oak I salvaged from a pallet to make some coasters.
Cool. Sounds like a good move.

Please post pics after. I love what you have done so far and would love even more to see the improvements.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS