Aniline Dye Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I've been doing some stain research and it appears that dyes work real well with small pored woods like Maple. My question is if they work so well with hard to stain woods, why not use them all the time? Are there any cons to using dyes to stain as opposed to more traditional stains? Thanks.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Peter,
Some of the issues I've dealt with on a couple of projects using dye are:

Lap marks when brushing...I now use an HVLP sprayer.

Grain Raising (when using water or alcohol as a solvent) ...I raise the grain prior to dye with a good spray of water, use a bit more dye than the tone I'm after and then buff with a grey pad to smooth any grain out after it dries.

Oak/Ash pores: Spraying helps and using lacquer thinner as the solvent too.

Light fastness on some colors is also a consideration.

Jeff Jewitt has a great site and discussion group. Here is a link to his dye faq's:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/faqs.htm

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have recently started down the dye path and agree 100 percent with Mark's response. I have only done one piece with it and I am working on my 2nd at the moment. All in all I like it, but I don't think I will be brushing it due to lap marks.

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
I agree with everything Mark and Travis said.

There is always some tradeoff, such as the colorfast issue, but dye does not mask the grain as pigment stains are inclined to do.
I have had good sucess in ragging the dye on which allows me to put it on quickly and move it around as needed to avoid lap marks, which generally seem to appear where you fail to keep a wet edge.
My preferred dyes are Behlens Solarlux because they don't seem to raise the grain (and probably because I am used to them so I don't get too many suprises).

For a really nice finish with good depth, try a dye in a color just a bit lighter than the desired final result, followed by a washcoat of dewaxed shellac (Sealcoat is good) and just scuff it with 320 or 400 paper. Then apply a darker pigmented stain and "dry brush" it when it starts to set up in order to get the desired color.
'Dry brushing" moves the stain around and removes some so you can fine tune the color and get some shading effects if desired, and the choice of pigmented stain color allows you to adjust the color tone (i.e., more reddish, or whatever you think is needed). Then use whatever clearcoat you choose which is compatible with the stain. (If in doubt about compatibility, seal the stain with Sealcoat first.)

Sounds more complicated than it really is when you start doing it.
The layering of color seems to add depth and avoid the grain covering effect of pigmented stains.
But be sure to try the color combinations on a scrap first. You can usually remove the stain with solvent if you don't like the result and try a different stain, but the dye is pretty hard to remove short of bleaching the wood and starting over.
This process will allow you to get a color result you have in your head rather than just what the manufacturer put in the can.

Good luck,
Allan

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Woodsmith had a series of pieces where aniline dye is used. They mixed three different ones to obtain the color. The pieces were somewhat unique as the tops and bases where darker than the main body.

I made the bedside table out of cherry. They also used cherry. I am disappointed in the piece for one main reason, light reflects off the vertical and horizontal pieces such that they look completely different. The rails and stiles look like they were dyed with different colors.

Of course this could be something I have done wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors