Angle Grinder Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
I'm entertaining the idea of getting a small angle grinder. I'm looking at these:
DeWalt 4 1/2"
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ryobi 4.5"
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

And Makita 4 1/2"

Anybody have any pros:thumbs_up / :thumbs_do cons for any of the above or alternate suggestions, I'd appreciate the input. Ultimately, I plan to pick up a couple of the Lancelot attachments for working with my logs/stumps which should save me a lot of time and busted knuckles removing bark and other debris.

Also looking for a decent 1/3 sheet sander. Only thing I've found decent reviews on is the Craftsman from Sears. I bought a new B&D from Wally World a couple weeks ago and promptly returned it. Couldn't keep paper on it.:BangHead: Dang thing has an orbit speed of somewhere in the Warp factor range:eek: and the pad is too large to reliably hold on to standard sized paper. :crossedlips:

Rob

New User
Rob
I have a Makita and a DeWalt, both have lived up to serious abuse modifying jeeps. But prices have gone up, I don't think I paid more then $40 for either.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I'd stay away from the ryobi because it's ryobi. Everything I've ever had from Ryobi has been replaced.

DonDeJ

New User
Don
I've had good luck with DeWalt, Milwakee, and Ridgid angle grinders. I prefer the ones with the paddle switch rather than the thumb switch, but that's just my preference. They have been more comfortable for long periods of use. Just find one that's comfortable in your hand. I'd also stay away from the real cheap ones, they just don't last.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've got the Makita 4" and it's really seen some abuse!:icon_thum From sharpening bush hog blades while still on the mower, to edge cutting 1/4" plate, it just keeps on working.
:wsmile:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Mine's a Bosch. Good tool, but I think I tried putting a Lancelot on it and it didn't fit. It was a while back, so it may have been operator error!

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Milwaukee or Makita, both are tough tools. If you have plenty of money the Bosch is probably better.
James

Outa Square

New User
Al
I saw this. It states Do NOT use Lancelot or Squire on any Makita brand grinders.

I would look at the specs of the lancelot tools you want to use to make sure it fits.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've had a couple of B&D Industrial ones for over twenty five years. Bought one at K-Mart for $39.99. They have done everything I have asked of them. Only repair was to replace the plug on one cord. The current DeWalts are the same machines. HD sometimes runs a deal of two for $99. Because of their dependability, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a used one. Check a couple of pawn shops, but remember they sell for less than $50 new.

stave

New User
stave
Here are a few tips from experience and from my friends who have used the lancelot.

First and most importantly...use a paddle grinder instead of a switch grinder also break off the lock on switch before you use the grinder with a lancelot. Paddle grinders will slow down when your hand is removed from the grinder and are much safer to use. A switch grinder keeps running and if the grinder gets away from you (which it will no matter how careful you are) it will chew up anything in its path.

Always use the side handle and NEVER use the grinder with one hand...keep both hands on the grinder at all times! NEVER use it above arm pit height because if it kicks the grinder will go to your face. Although you will be tempted, never take the grinder guard off...a promise for an accident.

It takes a strong grinder for the tool to be effective. I have 2 Bosch paddle grinders that cost me around $150 each, one is around 9 yrs old and still running strong. Check online at CPO for these tools, they sell all major brands. Both of mine were reconditioned, look like new and have a warranty like a new model.

There are grinding wheels and donuts made by Saburr which are sold in varying degrees of aggressive forms. The coarse ones are very aggressive and will tear into all woods. They are definitely safer than the lancelots but definitely demand respect because they too are inherently dangerous.

I use these on a regular basis. I have also had three accidents over past 5 years using them. The first two were scary but did not do much damage. The last one did a number on me. I was using the grinder without the side handle (it was in the way as I could not get to the spot I wanted with it attached)with a coarse donut Saburr attachment...also no guard. The grinder kicked and ran across my index finger on my left hand. Started at the fingertip and ran down to the knuckle. Started out as a scratch getting gradual wider and deeper until I had a 1" long x 1/4" wide x 1/4" deep cut to the bone. That was three months ago, still can't bend my finger but halfway, hurts when cold air hits it and I am guessing about a year before that finger is "normal" again.
I relay this story because the Saburr was bad but a Lancelot...doubt my finger would have been very useful afterwards. I probably use these tools around a 75 to 100 hours per year. The most consecutive hours 16 hours over 2 days.

For more info on the lancelot and what people think about it go to http://www.network54.com/Forum/118564/ and use the search to pull up information. Both the people I know and from experience, the lancelot can be a good tool but the risks out do any of the benefits unless you have great insurance and time to spare. Hope this helps.

Stave

cpw

New User
Charles
David,

I have a 4" Makita that I bought sometime in the late 80s, and I used it almost daily for several years. It's been a while since I put it through a workout, but the last time I fired it up to sharpen a lawn mower blade it was still going strong. Of course, I cannot vouch for the durability of the newer models, and I've seen mixed reviews online.

I noticed the Makita you selected has a paddle switch :icon_thum, while the Ryobi has a trigger :thumbs_do and it looks like the Dewalt has a thumb-latch :thumbs_do:thumbs_do. The "catch" on a lot of those thumb-latch switches wear out fast, so you end up holding the latch with your thumb constantly . Not much fun if you have to do it for more than a few minutes a day :BangHead:. The up side of that is that once the catch is broken you don't have to worry about it continuing to run if you let go of it.

And the trigger style isn't much better. Even if you have a trigger lock, they can be a pain to set with gloves on, and then you have to be very conscientious about turning it back off again :eusa_thin. That kind of fumbling around is a bit unnerving when dealing with an 11,000 RPM meat grinder.

The paddle style is easy to hold down because you just cradle the whole grinder in your hand and squeeze. If your hand gets tired you just reposition it a bit, but the paddle is so big that you can still hold it down easily from several different positions :eusa_clap:icon_cheers:eusa_clap. Most of these come with a "lock-on" feature as well, but with the paddle you don't really need it. That way, if you drop it, it shuts off.

I saw a grinder with a locking thumb-latch grab a loose sleeve, jerk out of the lady's hand, and climb her arm :eek:. The only thing that kept if from slicing her neck was that her sleeve split and wound up into the wheel so it couldn't turn anymore. The guy next to her jumped over the table and yanked the plug out of the socket to stop it before it worked loose or the motor burnt out.

Honestly, if I was going after one now, particularly if I was planning to put a spinning chain saw blade on one, I would probably look seriously at the DeWalt D28402N or the Bosch 1810PSD because they have the paddle switch with no lock-on. And some other cool features too.

stave

New User
stave
Forgot to mention that the Saburr that always got me was a coarse donut made for concave carving. The fine and medium grades are a great deal safer to use and to control. The semi-flat or sanding Saburr is safer and is what I use to sand and shape, the donut is for major shaping and wood removal. Here is a link to a site that sells the Saburr. http://chainsawsculptors.com/store/index.php?cPath=35 There are cheaper places I am sure but this was the first one I pulled up and you can enlarge the phots to see what they look like. The coarse teeth are a little longer than 1/16" if that helps.

Stave

ehpoole

Ethan
I can't comment with regard to the Lancelot accessories as I use my grinder mostly for grinding and cutting metal and masonry.

I have the 4-1/2" DeWalt D28402K (also available at Home Depot at $90). It has a paddle switch with a safety (so the grinder doesn't power on if the paddle is accidentally pressed). I definitely agree with posters above with regard to the safety factor a paddle switch provides -- a dead-man switch can bail you out in a hurry if it ever gets away from you! The D28402 is also a 10A motor versus the 7A you were looking at which I would think _might_ be helpful if you are going to hog out alot of wood like I would expect the Lancelot attachment to do.

I would also suggest staying away from the Ryobi for any sort of heavy duty work as well. Ryobi is a decent low-price light-duty consumer grade brand, but they are intended for just that. I won't knock Ryobi like some might, I gladly use their cordless products (I got tired of shelling out $$$$'s on batteries every couple years). But for serious/heavy work I break out my corded tools, all of which are Bosch, DeWalt, Porter Cable and the like.

Dragon

New User
David
Stave, sounds like you've definitely done the time with these things. Mucho thanks for all the info and advice. The rest of you, many thanks as well. I'll take all this in and make my decisions as I work towards this tool buy. I know I for sure need a better way than hacking away with chisels and hatchets to remove bark and smooth out the nooks and crannies of these logs. Now that time has finally dried out a few of my "victims" and the weather is getting a bit warmer, I'm really chomping to get in some shop time and finish out several pieces. Again, thanks loads for all the responses and advice.

stave

New User
stave
There is a sanding brush used for sanding logs and irregular areas...it is called an Osborne brush, it is about 6" to 8" in dia. It comes in two grits, a round bristle which I think is 80 grit and a square bristle which is maybe 60 grit. Fits on a 8" grinder, I bought mine at Northern Tool as you are not really in need of a top notch tool here. The brushes are expensive at almost $95 each but they last a long time and as they get worn they fit into smaller spaces and become more aggressive. You will not find anything that works as well for irregular shapes or crevices.
I ordered mine from a log home supply house out west. If I can find the link I will post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS