And now, ladies and gentleman, Bluewing92's Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary G

New User
Gary
I give you Norm's first pen :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

A chrome slimline formally dressed in segmented maple and walnut.
After roughing out with a gouge, and turning with a skew followed
by light sanding, the pen was finished w/ MM 1500->12000, walnut oil, CA,
MM, and buffed out with plastic polish.

Can you say awesome!

Gary

Attachments

• NormBFirstPen.jpg
    NormBFirstPen.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 148

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Gary,

Great pen. How does this two tone stuff turn. I would guess the wood grains and hardness are pretty similar or is this who thing made from the same composite material?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Excellent pen, great spacing on the segmentation, nice fit and the finish looks good too.
Dave:)

sawman

New User
Albert
Beautiful work, it almost makes me want to buy a lathe.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Later,
Albert

:saw:

Gary G

New User
Gary
Gary,

Great pen. How does this two tone stuff turn. I would guess the wood grains and hardness are pretty similar or is this who thing made from the same composite material?

Wayne,
No composites; as I wrote: maple and walnut.

Had I been using my brain, I would've suggested that he start with something easier to turn. :BangHead::BangHead:
It was Norm's first pen AND first turning.
The maple is harder than the walnut and cut as it was, he was turning
face-grain, end-grain and grains running in opposite directions.
He did great.

Gary

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Fantastic job on the pen! Love the contrasting woods. And this is a first 8-O8-O8-O

bluewing92

New User
Norm
First of all, I can’t thank Gary enough for his guidance and encouragement. And of course for the use of his shop.
Thank you all for the kind words. This was my first time in front of a lathe. I practiced first with a couple of scrap pieces and turned the preverbal 8" baseball bat. Then decided to give the pen a go. As Gary stated I probably should have started with a solid blank instead of a composite piece. I think if I make any more I’ll stick with solid till I feel more comfortable with the process.

skeeter

New User
Charles
WOW! Great looking first pen. I like the contrast and the finish looks great too. Can't wait to see more pens, after seeing such a good job on the first.

cskipper

Cathy
The different types of wood and direction of the grain will make turning a solid piece of wood seem easy in comparison.

Gary G

New User
Gary
To follow up, albeit without pics:
Norm came by the shop today and turned another pen using some figured Sapelle I have. His fit and finish were excellent. The CA finish gave him a workout, but he got it to submit and there's a deep, lustrous shine on that pen. :eusa_danc :icon_thum

Last edited:

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Here is the proof. I think I'm starting to like this!!!!!:eusa_danc

Gary, thanks again, specialy for helping me work through the finish. That CA is something else..:BangHead::BangHead:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Great job for a first,second, third or 50th pen.:eusa_clap
The more you get into glue ups the more you want to experiment even more.
Keep it up!:icon_thum

ebarr

New User
Wayne
It's just one small pen, how much harm can it do. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry. We are all here for support.

Don't get to discouraged by the CA finish. If it's now working for you go to other finishes and them come back to it. After about 20 pens I am starting to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS